American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

May 6, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: The Power Hungry

Christophe-
r Antilope
Novice Their American
The Power Hungry
on: February 9, 2016, 10:47

The Power Hungry

Nearly 53 years ago, a man stood at the Lincoln Memorial, and said a speech that could apply directly to the present day in 2016. On this site, this man said, “[we] can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality; And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality.” Today, Martin Luther King’s words still have much weight, especially in an era where police brutality is scarily becoming something of the norm.

In Toronto, we have Toronto Police Service Officer James Forcillo who was found not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter, but guilty of attempted murder towards a young man posing a threat on a bus. Over two decades ago, we have the Rodney King beating by police officials. And, also within the past 20 years, we saw innocent Robert Davis attacked by police? Why?

The first answer that comes to my mind – wielding the perspective of a police officer’s subconscious – is “because we can.” Indeed, you can. Anyone can. But should you? That is obviously the question that is being failed to ask. Obviously, you should not.

53 years ago, Martin Luther King spoke about the injustices being served and the justice not being served to African Americans, with the topic of “police brutality” being specifically named twice. While the Los Angeles Police Department’s motto is “To Protect and Serve,” we see that there is neither valid protection from the unjust police nor the rights being served; all that is served are beatings without righteous cause.

Now, after working in produce for nearly four years, I can easily say that not all cases of apples, oranges, sweet potatoes, watermelons (or any other type of produce, for that matter) come without a bad product. There will always be the rotten fruit. However, it seems to me that, whether we are talking about the injustice of police brutality, the racist comments of politicians, or the invitation list of the 88th Academy Awards of 2016, the one word question that always arises is, “Why?! (with both punctuation marks required)”

I titled this piece, “The Power Hungry,” because it was the only reason that made sense. Some, not all, police, politicians, officials, etc. are merely power hungry. I have seen discrimination myself. Why? Because those in power can do whatever (they think) they want, and (they think) they get away with it. Once again, “why?!”

Every time a topic of racism comes up, it feels like we are living in Groundhog Day insofar as we have been and seen and heard this all before – no change has been made. “Why? (with the exclamation mark purposefully taken out)” Because of the power hungry and unjust. A fireman can go up to a building and start drenching it with water without it being on fire: does this make sense? A jury can sentence an eighteen-year-old female for helping a kitten out of a tree: does this make sense? Another example is unnecessary because the aforementioned ones do make sense to get my point across. They don’t make sense in regards of justice, but insane things like this can happen. “Why?” Because we give too many people too much power. That, I believe, is the problem with society. It’s not who we give the power to, but how much power we are giving those who are supposed to be serving and protecting us.

Thus, I have a dream. And that dream is for this world to get its act together. How difficult is it to simply be good? Indeed, we may encounter frustration from slow walkers and drivers who may not know the rules of the road, but I say be thankful for having legs to walk on and cars to drive in, while others may not be so lucky.

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
Re: The Power Hungry
on: February 17, 2016, 17:58

After reading Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, I have developed some further insight on this inevitable "open-ended" dilemma. To give a brief synopsis, this novel depicts three periods of time: prehistoric era (3 billion years ago), a setting where moon travel was common (1999) and a venture to Saturn (2001). In each of these travels, the novel explores an advancement in technology and exploration. At the same time, the novel depicts that these advancements were dependent on hunger-in the sense that humans desire more. Although ambition is an admirable trait-it inherently impedes another's aspiration. This may sound Machiavellian of me, but in order for a person to gain something, someone else must lose something. It can be argued that this framework is only in business deals and larger global transactions-but this paradigm is present in everything we do. For example, before I go to school, I put on one of my leather jackets, a sports team hat (depending which of my favourite team has won) and grab a coffee at Tims. Now although most of my actions did not directly impede on anyone's own ambitions that day, my previous actions had. Buying multiple jackets and hats from a particular store-one company gained that revenue while another potential company did not. Buying coffee at Tims- Tims made profit while the local coffee shop down the street still struggles to retain regular customers. The relevance of this story: while these markets gained a profit on those days, the other companies potentially lost the opportunity that same day. Consider this as a regular pattern for multiple parties: the companies who are never attaining profit will still be hungry-since they have not "been fed". In addition, it is not like Tims (not to bash this company-just used for this purpose) or the jacket store will be satisfied from my one purchase, they would want me to purchase again and again-they are hungry too despite-depending on who ask-being already overfed.

I too wish people can be 'simply good'. But it is not the world we live in. To be honest it never was. In the prehistoric era, Clarke illustrates how the innovation of weapons had lead to a scene where one tribe viciously took over another, simply because they had the power to do so-because they can. Even the term 'simply good' is completely arbitrary. What may be good for one party may not be good for another (as illustrated with my routine example). But that is life. It is not meant to be-on a universal scale-simply good-that sounds more like a heavenly construct (if I were to delve into a religious thought process here I may never leave this blurb-so I'll leave that at that). However, despite this 'gloomy fate' you are correct that we should at least try to all be 'simply good'. Of course things would not be perfect-but if you think about it-we really have no clue what that is.

melissafio-
relli
Novice Their American
on: March 16, 2016, 15:13

I applaud Christopher for taking upon himself the daunting task of addressing the topic of the seemingly ever-prevalent racism within our society. The topic of racism, or more specifically, power struggles, is never an easy one to approach. Although I acknowledge the difficulty of placing the responsibility on one overarching explanation, I do believe both Christopher and A.C. do a wonderful job at getting to the core of this issue. Ultimately, as both Christopher and A.C. begin to touch upon, hegemony, or more specifically, cultural hegemony, is at the core of this issue.

Being both a Sociology and English major, I have the benefit of intersecting these two subjects simultaneously when addressing both literature and social issues. With that being said, perhaps the most significant aspect I have taken away from my sociology courses is how essential hegemony is in shaping our society. Hegemony accounts for the taken for granted assumptions rendered normative by dominant groups of society which function to render the subordinate groups of society as such. Moreover, cultural hegemony, more pertinent in this case, accounts for the rendering subordinate of all other cultures, by one dominant culture.

It is by no means surprising that this is the case when discussing racism. After all, racism is essentially the positioning of White over Black. Similar to the metaphor employed by A.C., it is the domination of Tim Hortons over local and diverse coffee shops. But if this is the overarching issue at hand (and temporarily ignoring the plethora of other variables that contribute to this issue), what is the solution?

As Christopher reveals, the plethora of sociological research that seems to suggest a variety of solutions, either has not been implemented, or not successful. Still in 2016, racism persists. Despite this, each time I think of hegemony in relation to racism, I think of Jacques Derrida. Surprisingly, I was first introduced to Derrida's work in a Critical Approaches to Literature course. Though very dense, Derrida essentially is known for deconstructing oppositional binaries and reversing the hierarchy that positions one higher than the other. It seems to me, that solving racism lies in taking this approach and applying it. Although I recognize this is easier said than done, I believe that this is truly the only solution, even if it seems like an impossible one. Only until we deconstruct this hierarchy of White over Black, and render both hegemony and this hierarchy irrelevant, can we solve this issue of racism.

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
on: March 21, 2016, 21:49

“Be assured that earth is not, nor can ever be heaven while the seeds of hell are natives of her soils. When the seasons have become equal, when the air breeds no disorders, when its surface is no longer liable to blights and droughts, then sickness will cease; when men’s passions are dead, poverty will depart. When love is no longer akin to hate, then brotherhood will exist: we are very far from that state at present.” This quote, from Mary Shelly's "The Last Man" (published in 1826), perfectly depicts the previous point. We do not know what uniformed equality is-that is not an earthly concept. It is one of the life's paradoxes (I believe) that universal equality cannot be attained since the inherent gain equals to the loss of another. As a result, some form of discrimination will be practiced. The poem, "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" portrays this circular paradigm perfectly. As mentioned, that does not mean we should not try to create equality. Although we won't get to the most ideal system, I am certain with persistent effort, humanity can reach somewhere close.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.