American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

May 6, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Rachel Dolezal`s Claiming African American

melissafio-
relli
Novice Their American
Rachel Dolezal`s Claiming African American
on: January 9, 2016, 11:44

Prior to immersing fully into the topic of racial prejudice, I feel it is essential that I first explain my sudden interest in this topic. As part of my 20th Century American Literature course, we are required to create posts on this website which connect various texts read in class, to the broader landscape of American culture. Consequently, with much of our second semester being heavily focused on African American writers, our professor has implored us to focus our posts on the social issues around race in relation to American culture. Upon hearing his request, I felt an immediate need to address this topic.

Recently in the news, a controversial woman by the name of Rachel Dolezal has faced a similar issue many of the African American authors discussed in my class face, the issue of "two-ness." In other words, it is this constant feeling that one has two conflicting selves. However, unlike these authors, Dolezal doesn't struggle with being black, she struggles with being white.

I must admit that my breadth on this topic is not extensive. From what I've understood, this woman has claimed, for a significant amount of time, to be a woman of colour, taking on the appearance and mannerisms of an African American. However, it has recently been revealed that she in fact, is in no way a woman of colour.

Contrasting this present day situation with readings from the infamous Booker T. Washington and W.E.B Du Bois offers a rather ironic and unsettling situation. Despite having two very different approaches, both authors are infamous for their view on liberalizing African Americans. After reading their passionate words, I am left with an even greater distaste for Rachel Dolezal's actions.

I have never been one to judge or discredit someone's personal choices in life, but I have to question Dolezal's motives here. Considering her profession as an "Africana-studies program teacher," (Vanity Fair, link attached at the bottom) I would expect her to be familiar, if not sympathize with, the sheer struggle Black folk faced of which Washington and Du Bois write.

And so, rather than critiquing her behaviour, I turn to my fellow students and readers posing only two of my many questions:

1. Does Rachel Dolezal's version of "two-ness" discredit the struggle faced by many African Americans like Washington and Du Bois?

2. Should we learn from the past and the works of Washington and Du Bois to accept Dolezal's two-ness rather than discredit her identity, as we have in the past with African Americans?

I can admit I don't have an answer to these questions. I am torn, with being both accepting and skeptical of Rachel Dolezal's claims. Despite this, I think this is an important topic that needs to be both recognized and discussed.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/07/rachel-dolezal-new-interview-pictures-exclusive

sarahmedei-
ros
Novice Their American
Re: Rachel Dolezal`s Claiming African American
on: January 12, 2016, 20:42

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/opinion/contributors/writers-group/2015/08/05/white-black-white-puzzling-case-rachel-dolezal/31182889/

This article may give you some insight to other opinions on this rather bizarre case. There is mention of the 'color line,' the line which has existed for centuries ever since pigmentation became a designated part rather than simply a color. The article states how "DuBois saw it as a matter of color, but after a trip to the Warsaw Ghetto in 1949, he wrote that “the race problem ... cut across lines of color ... and was a matter of cultural patterns." In a way, I suppose Rachel Dolezal is being faced with a cultural problem, since she feels as though she was born of the wrong color and culture. Her desire to be a true part of the NAACP as an African American is as undermining as, say, Bruce Jenner becoming a woman because he felt as though he was born in the wrong body. For her (in my understanding of her argument on her choice, being based more on her feeling like a cultural outcast and an uncomfortable "white" in the sense of white culture and not so much color based), she decided upon wanting to appear African American because it was how she believed she was meant to look and act from birth. I do not think she is undermining the struggle of true African Americans, but rather fighting an inner battle of individuality that reflects only upon herself, and not the past of a race. The incredible struggles African Americans faced during the time of slavery were known to Dolezal, but I do not think she connects herself with their past, but rather their present. I will use the Bruce Jenner example again. He did not become a woman because he understood the struggle of being unable to vote, but because he felt out of place as a man. Thus, although controversial because race will continually be a color line that will punish those who cross it, Rachel Dolezal is more of an individual questioning her identity than one who is questioning the validity of the African American's troubled past.

LianaDavid
Novice Their American
on: March 1, 2016, 11:21

I completely agree with Sarah in that I think Dolezal is not purposely trying to discredit African Americans and the struggles of both the past and present, but rather she just has trouble in sorting out her identity. In regards to your first question, I wouldn't exactly say she's discrediting any "two-ness," because she is trying to prove that she is black, and nothing else. Whether or not it can be proven of her true ethnicity, Dolezal claims that she is black, which I am assuming in this case makes the idea of two-ness or being of mixed races null. The whole situation is still extremely grey though. I mean, even if we do try and understand Dolezal's psychological dilemma, this does not eliminate the issue of what this situation means for African Americans. Dolezal, as much as she can argue herself as black, was still born from white parents. And so we're stuck wondering about how this knowledge of her heritage will change the way she is treated in society compared to other African Americans. I'm going to assume that had this been a black woman claiming to be white, the response from the public would be far more serious rather than being seen as even slightly humorous.

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
on: March 4, 2016, 17:18

A very interesting paradigm addressed with this article and the three perspectives stated. On the one hand, if she is presided the NAACP,does it really matter if she is black or white? Regardless that action is commendable in itself. I honestly believe had she admitted to her ethnicity from the start, the ramifications would not have been as severe. It could have been assessed as a genuine mistake and the possibility of her to continue in the civil rights movement would have been very likely, and dare I say, heroic. However it is her denial and her eventual reveal that she is white (November 2015 on a live interview) which completely destroys her credibility. It can be argued that she was pressured to make this revelation-despite her actually believing it to be true. Nonetheless, her fraudulent actions are hard to overlook. Despite her intentions and genuine feelings, she will be reveled as 'poser; of sorts for the way this situation escalated.

This incident reminds me of Philip Roth's "The Human Stain" in regards that the focal character, Coleman Silk, also hides his race to "fit-in". The irony is that the trouble he encounters could have been at least partially alleviated had he revealed his actual heritage.

Zack_Piazz-
a
on: March 6, 2016, 16:21

I think there are some interesting parallels between Invisible Man and the Dolezal case that we can draw to better understand the struggle of fitting in to racial identities. This whole issue will invariably be interpreted through in social, racial, personal, and cultural disputes, but it all stems from personal identity and a sense of community and belonging. Dolezal believes she belongs to a certain race, so she looks and acts like that race in order to make her outward appearance coincide with her internal beliefs. Those beliefs are bound up in a certain cultural perception that will (unfortunately) be automatically applied to you whenever you interact with anybody. If you're trying to emulate an identity on this kind of scale, like Dolezal does, it's not for aesthetic purposes, it's in pursuit of these cultural perceptions.

In Invisble Man, there seems to be an underlying theme that a conversion from whiteness to blackness is a desirable pursuit, or at least masking black skin with a thin white coating. This was evidenced by a thoroughly milked metaphor during the paint factory, with much imagery of white paint covering up anything and making it beautiful, and Mr. Brockway supporting this vision. Later in the story, I.M. passes by a shop selling a cosmetic product which promises to lighten dark skin. Ras warns I.M. and Clifton not to be like the white men in the Brotherhood, and failing to understand why they were doing what they were doing, since they were black. On the surface, race is aesthetic. So, if you appear aesthetically consistent with a race, and act culturally consistent, you effectively become a part of that culture. You are, objectively, not biologically part of that race, but for most purposes a very deep and well-meaning facade is indistinguishable from the real thing.

I think it's easier to sympathize with Dolezal's situation if you don't think of her as "she is white, but wants to be black", but "she identifies with X cultural group, but people automatically assign her to Y cultural group due to her appearance." I think Liana is on the right track by aligning this with a personal identity problem. Charles sees Dolezal as a fraud, but if you apply Sarah's transgender identity metaphor to the situation: should transgender people be forced to admit their gender assigned at birth? Are they "living a lie" because they are not biologically the gender they were originally assigned to? These are some deeper questions that may have their own set of answers when discussing race, but it also seems to be analogous in many ways.

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
on: March 7, 2016, 16:55

"Dolezal believes she belongs to a certain race, so she looks and acts like that race in order to make her outward appearance coincide with her internal beliefs. Those beliefs are bound up in a certain cultural perception that will (unfortunately) be automatically applied to you whenever you interact with anybody." When reading this point, I immediately thought of Harper Lee's Dolphus Raymond from "To Kill a Mockingbird". Raymond masquerades himself to be the town drunk so the public does not question his choice to be with black people (a glaring choice in correlation with the setting of the novel as he is a white man). In comparison, Dolezal states she belongs to a certain race and acts in correlation to those internal beliefs. Both create this image to alleviate anticipated controversy. In Lee's novel, Raymond's measures are understandable as his actions,without the cover, can be vital. In Dolezal's case, I contemplate why the race matters. Wouldn't it be even more revolutionary if she were white and she were advocating black civil rights movements? Of course it can be argued that people will have inherent grudges against that scenario as "she cannot support something which she doesn't experience". That is precisely why I postulate that she does masquerade-to avoid said complication.

In addressing the fraudulent claim, I would like to consider the transgender comparison (specifically the Caitlyn Jenner one). These two cases are not interchangeable. Jenner discoveries herself to identify as a female-one transition. Dolezal discovers herself to be black and then reverts back by stating she is white (according to media headlines)-two transitions. In the second transition is where the fraudulent claim is accurate. Her initial discovery loses significant credibility. If she is willing to transition back and forth so loosely, then the change, I believe, becomes less noted as a discovery and more relatable to trying something new-a fascination of sorts. Without a doubt, if Jenner were to make a reverted transition, she would receive a similar backlash for being disingenuous.

This perspective may sound abrupt as it sounds like I'm stating "you have one choice to change and that is all". However, these transitions are not everyday decisions-they go against seemingly undisputed facts. When going against such facts, one's choices seem more experimental than anything else. Caityln Jenner can still state and act in a masculine fashion without reverting back on her choice. As mentioned, Dolezal could do the same actions and behaviours without changing what race she is classified to be.

When stating Dolezal's reversion, I had mentioned "according to media headlines" because I did not look at the footage of the actual reveal ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyC4LkWCmoc). To quote, Dolezal states that she admits she is "biologically born white to white parents but I identify as black." Seeing this footage contrasts what I initially thought transpired (born white, states she is black, then states she is white). To me, this quote does not properly revert back to another race, rather acknowledging the complexity accurately. The problem is that she did not always take this stance.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.086 seconds.