American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 26, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: The Fascination of Slavery: Movies

hannah.gil-
bert
Novice Their American
The Fascination of Slavery: Movies
on: February 27, 2016, 14:24

There is something irksome about the amount of entertainment that stems from movies depicting slavery. Movies like "12 Years a Slave", "Django Unchained", "Amistad" and many others reveal the brutal life of Africa American slaves. "Django Unchained," a film notoriously noted as one of Quentin Tarantino's best productions, made 452.4 million dollars on its opening weekend in the theatres."12 Years a Slave" did extremely well at the Academy Awards, and won for Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Performance by an Actress and Actor in a Leading Role, Best Adapted Screenplay, and many others. "Django Unchained" and "Amistad" also won and were nominated for a variety of awards.

Do not get me wrong, these awards are commendable. It is extremely challenging to win such acclamations. The issue I have is that these are congratulating the depiction of a violent and brutal life that was once feared by many. Although Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio both did amazing jobs in "Django Unchained", they glorified the power of African American slaves that did not factually exist. Many African Americans died in both transport and on the plantations, and these movies of heroism provide a deeper understanding of what we value as a species. The notion of an audience paying to see this horrific experience containing bloodshed is similar to the entertainment associated with the Gladiator spectacles in Rome. It appears that many people enjoy watching such brutalization because it allows for their own empowerment of the freedom that they in fact have. The texts that we have studied regarding African American inequality, i.e. "Going to Meet the Man" and "Invisible Man" depict such disturbing violence sequences that they were sometimes hard to read. These experiences would have been absolutely horrifying to those who were involved at the time, so why are we so fascinated with getting to witness it?

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
Re: The Fascination of Slavery: Movies
on: March 19, 2016, 14:59

I think the fascination is partially associated with a desire of knowing something without actually experiencing it. In producing a film like "Django Unchained" or a story like "Going to Meet the Man", people become more aware of the painful struggles they endured. Although the glorified power within these sources may not be factually authentic, the violence most definitely bears close similarities. It is important that the violence-as horrifying as it is-is depicted with such vulgarity as the audience-who generally has never encountered such brutality-can properly understand the excruciating torments of the past. With this in mind, I would differ in claiming there is a similarity with these outlets and the Gladiator spectacles in Rome. The violence portrayed in "12 Years a Slave" and novels such as Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" are meant to portray the violence with an intent that the reader becomes aware of the situation and gains some level of understanding-they are attempting to tap into the didactic as well as the entertainment. As mentioned, the Gladiator spectacles do not have the same didactic quality, rather they predominately provide entertainment for people as it "allows for their own empowerment of the freedom that they in fact have it".

I would like to conclude by mentioning Lawrence Hill's "The Book of Negroes". Like the books and films mentioned, there is numerous scenes of violence and brutality. But I think Hill does an excellent job in his research to properly illustrate content which can correlate with factual possibilities

http://www.cbc.ca/bookofnegroes/

hannah.gil-
bert
Novice Their American
on: March 25, 2016, 15:46

This is an extremely interesting perspective on the issue, and I agree with it. I do think that these forms allow for audiences to see what it was truly like living during a time of such violence. The differentiation you made between the Gladiator spectacles and the slavery movies is quite poignant as well.

I have also read "The Book of Negroes," and the scenes of brutality certainly do add to the accuracy of the experience that slaves would have undergone. I would argue that forms of literature such as "The Book of Negroes" and "Going to Meet the Man," offer a more authentic snapshot of the violence endured during these times. Movies do allow people to witness what it would have been like, so they are projecting the instances discussed in literature onto the screen. Furthermore, this can be connected to alternative forms of cinema and literature, such as Eli Weisel's "Night," "Schindler's List," and "The Boy in Striped Pajamas." Similarly to movies such as "Django Unchained" and "12 Years a Slave," these forms of art are also attempting to illustrate a historical moment in which the audience desires to know more about, due its level of outright maliciousness.

I have recently discovered that the sale of Django Unchained action figures took place shortly after the movie was released. It is stated that: "This week's release by National Entertainment Collectibles Association (NECA) of six Django action-figure dolls, for sale on Amazon.com. Eight-inches high, with moveable limbs, fabric clothing and "authentic" weapons, age recommendation 18 years and older. The full set yours for $299.99. NECA has done the same for Kill Bill, Carrie and Friday the 13th. This is fanboy/girl stuff" (http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jan/10/django-unchained-portrayal-slavery-flippant). I support your view that these movies are meant to provide a didactic quality, but the sale of dolls such as these does challenge the presence of such instructional value.

Brian-
Emmerson
Experienced Their American
on: March 25, 2016, 17:23

As said before, I think the interest in seeing these events portrayed stems from a desire for realism, to see the truth. I'm reminded of Francisco Goya's "The Disasters of War" series in which he portrayed the horrors of war during the battles between the Spanish and the French. We may only have photographs to show what happened during the time of slavery, but photos are still images of moments and do not necessarily depict the way in which events unfold. Moving pictures meant to re-create and retell history help to answer questions and depict what that time was like.

In the case of Tarantino, slavery is more of a setting than a focus. It certainly has impact on the characters and contributes to the narrative, but I think the commentary takes a backseat. Tarantino is a fan of exploitation films, and he has made them before. Inglorious Basterds took the setting of Nazi Germany and told an alternative story with a lot of dialogue and violence. In that film, the heroine's backstory is built from the fact she is Jewish and escaped being massacred along with her family, and plots her revenge. Django in Django Unchained is a freed slave out to rescue his wife from slavery. The film does a good job portraying the grotesque horror of slavery with moments like the slave deathmatch, the dogs killing an escaped slave, and DiCaprio's meltdown, but I feel that the true focus of the movie is to provide an entertaining and gripping story that pays tribute to both westerns and exploitation films. The exploitation is evident with the stylized over-the-top violence, especially in scenes such as the household shootout where litres of blood just pour onto the set and flesh explodes into a red mist with every bullet hole.

Perhaps a film genre to look at would be the blaxploitation genre. I feel Django Unchained pays tribute to some of the western-themed films in the genre, like some of the films from the 70's starring Fred Williamson (who has collaborated with Tarantino). Films in this genre often centred on black protagonists and often highlighted race relations and teetered on the ridiculous. The films were seen as either empowering to racial identity or contributory to African American caricatures. Slavery was also a topic commonly portrayed in these films, especially the westerns.

Brayaden-
Fantin
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 21:40

"scopophilia" is the love of a looking in a way that is negative. It is a repetition of shock value. It questions when it is okay to use images of violence in the media to scare people. We, as a society, are crafting a genre of horror where we feel pleasure from viewing these horrific things.

The fascination of slavery in Hollywood is, at times, disgusting and a major representation of ideas surrounding fetishization of African Americans and violent treatment against them. One may argue that slavery movies such as "Django Unchained" and "12 Years a Slave" promotes awareness and brings upon notions of white guilt. They inform of us our history and make us aware of important concerns that are still with us today. However, one could also argue that movies about slavery also promote more violence and a sense of complacency with it. Not only are the characters in these movies often misrepresented, but the violent and discriminatory actions made against them are normalized, and as a result, fetishized.

This is just a repetition of shock value--when does it not become okay to use violent images to shock people? I believe the answer is when we expect it and when it no longer shocks us. That seems to be the case in today's Hollywood representation of slavery.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.062 seconds.