American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 14, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: #OscarsSoWhite

Dgranger
Novice Their American
#OscarsSoWhite
on: January 19, 2016, 23:13

It's that time of year again: award season. With it comes probably the most watched ceremony in Hollywood - the Oscars. However, as many people know, for the 2nd year in a row all the nominees are white. This could be explained by the fact that the panel deciding the Oscar nominations is around 94% white, most of whom are older white men. Since this same scenario occurred last year, I would have thought that the academy would have ensured a greater racial diversity among their nominees for this year. I do understand that such changes take time, but this is 2016, and it's time that the academy fairly nominate actors on the basis of their performances onscreen, rather than choosing people on the basis of their skin colour. Something else which I found odd and frustrating is that even in movies primarily featuring black actors or stories about black people, white actors and directors were acknowledged for their parts, rather than the black actors and directors. This raises an important question - does the panel believe that it's honourable to make movies about people of colour, but that the black actors/directors who show these stories on the big screen aren't worthy enough to be acknowledged properly for their work? If that's true, this idea of being "honourable" could suggest that the predominantly white Oscar judging panel believes that such movies being nominated (about people of colour) are an act of charity, and that the academy believes it's being gracious in performing such a service. In fact, making Chris Rock the host of this year's ceremony and having Cheryl Boone Isaacs as the academy president (both of whom are black) strongly hints that tokenism is at play. It's clear though that not all of America shares the same racist mentality as the Oscar panel, since many have joined the movement to boycott the Oscars and not watch the show at all. As Reverend Al Sharpton states, perhaps the Academy would be pressured to change its mindset if more and more people boycott the Oscars, resulting in a loss of profit for them. While reading "Invisible Man" by Ellison, I was reminded of that same idea of charity when Norton, one of the main financial trustees of the school, promotes the education of black youth, but in a way that makes these youth obligated and grateful to him. This book was published in 1952, and 60+ years later, it's ridiculous that this (racist) mentality is being echoed in the present period. It remains to be seen if the Oscars boycott leads to any change on the Academy's part.

GarethQ
Re: #OscarsSoWhite
on: January 24, 2016, 15:26

I agree Dgranger!
And here's a recent skit from Saturday Night Live which perfectly satirizes the white fetishization of the awards industry...

Shealyn
Novice Their American
on: February 16, 2016, 11:21

I fully agree that the lack of representation of blacks in this years Oscar nominations is ridiculous. It's 2016, and yet we still experience avoidable acts of inequality on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. I find it appalling that the predominantly white Oscar panel would choose an all white lineup of nominees, either intentionally or unintentionally. If their choice to omit black nominees was intentional, there is a serious problem of racial discrimination. But even if the choices were made unintentionally, this could also reveal a deeper, unconscious belief that whites are superior to blacks. They may not be trying to be outright racists, but at the same time they aren't suppressing their white superiority. I find the Saturday Night Live skit mentioned above very funny, as it addresses these issues in a comical but true manner. Whites are being recognized while blacks are not, and this isn't fair. The talent in this year's nominees is incredible, and these actors and actresses should be recognized. But the fact that the work of those talented black actors and actresses is going unrecognized is cause for concern.

sarahmedei-
ros
Novice Their American
on: February 24, 2016, 17:26

I agree with all that was said above, however, in a different way. I do not feel as though the Oscars were attempting to be racist in a way which was purposeful. Rather, as the article I will post says below, I think that the "old white men" who make up the board of the Oscars have become "colorblind." They do judge based on the simplistic ideas of "best picture" or "best actor," and instead of viewing these categories in a racial lighting, they simply see only grey. George Clooney, for example, stated that the Oscars were being racist because of the snubbing of 'Selma,' a movie based around the discrimination which flourished even after the Civil Rights Movement. However, '12 Years a Slave' had won Best Picture the year before, a movie dedicated to portraying the life of slaves in the most honest, dehumanizing portrayals to hit Hollywood since Roots. In a quote I had found on CTV here, it asks:

"Is Clooney saying that the same people who were not racist when they gave the Best Picture Oscar to 12 Years a Slave turned racist 10 months later for some reason when they 'snubbed' Ava DuVernay by not nominating her for Best Director for Selma? Were they racist the whole time but decided to pretend not to be racist in March of 2014, only to stop pretending in January of 2015?"

It would definitely appear as though the Oscars, and Hollywood in general, still remains a majority of white males who cast old beliefs of what good Hollywood films are meant to look, sound, and feel like. However, the many stages that go into Oscar nominations, such as the actual process of having your movie screened by the Oscar panel itself, is difficult. Sure, if you have connections it becomes easier, but connections do not necessarily have to be based on race. The criticism should in fact not go to the Oscars, but perhaps to those with connections for not placing enough strong African American actors into their movies. Some critics say the Academy is the wrong target in this boycott campaign, and that blame should fall on the studios who hire relatively few African-Americans to direct or star in major U.S. movies. This makes sense to me, only because the lack in diversity within movies occurs all over the Hollywood spectrum and not just within Oscar nominations.

Did anyone notice the lacking of other cultures as well? Asians, Hispanics, Indians, and Natives are also completely unseen within the Oscars. In fact, the past films nominated for Oscars, when compared to movies containing black directors or actors, is staggeringly less for these other minorities (who happen to not be minorities at all in North America). I understand that comparisons don't make for the strongest argument against the Oscars being racist, but now that this issue has arisen, I cannot help but feel that all black nominees from this day forward are going to have to wonder whether it was their talent, or their color, that allowed them to win.

As for the comment about tokenism, I completely agree. They do feel placed strategically within the Oscar's structure, in public view and supporting good entertainment value. As seen in "Invisible Man," profit can be made easily by appeasing a certain group without actually allowing them any upward mobility. It is quite difficult to place racism in our society today as it always appears on the surface to be a society of "multiculturalism and equality." However, the more I watch the news and see the Ferguson riots, the South Trials and the trending tweets such as #Oscarssowhite, the more complex and Ellison-like the world seems to be.

(source from http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oscars-snub-black-actors-academy-boycott-1.3415397)

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/opinions/oscars-so-gray-seymour/

hannah.gil-
bert
Novice Their American
on: March 24, 2016, 18:31

I agree with the post above, especially Sarah's salient point about there not being a representation of other races as well. "12 Years a Slave" did indeed win many Oscars, which is why I argue that this award ceremony is not intentionally discriminating by race. Those selecting the nominees are on a panel, and given their age and race, are not necessarily as open-minded as we are as a generation in 2016. The Oscars are viewed by millions of people worldwide, but this by no means makes them the ultimate decider of who the best movies and actors are. There are plenty of movies and actors that are not recognized at the Oscars, which I sometimes find more enjoyable than movies such as "The Martian." I do not believe that the Oscars are purposefully racist, because they have nominated black actors and movies in the past. These nominations work on a yearly basis, and the involvement of minorities in these movies would fluctuate annually. This controversy is also impacted by the ratio of whites to minorities in Hollywood in general. There are more white actors in the field, so it would make sense that they would win more awards. I do agree that there was an under-representation of minorities in the Oscars this year, but I don't think it is a strategy to exclude them from such awards, after all, Chris Rock hosted.

This controversy is complicated by the Black Movie Awards, which take place on an annual basis. They are held in order to honour African American actors and films for their achievements. Although I can fully understand the justification for holding such an event, could this not be considered as counter-productive? In order for us to view America as multicultural and equal, doesn't an event like this separate racial groups? I definitely support celebrating such cinematic achievements, but I do not think having distinct ceremonies by race is helping the matter.

In terms of the under-representation of minorities in the Oscars, it is an unfortunate occurrence, because there are many talented actors and actresses that are not white. I do not think that the intention was to be malicious though, as the Oscars panel is nominating based off of a carefully measured scoring system. I do not think race weighs in on their final decision.

Shahrazad-
A
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 23:29

During the weeks leading up to the Oscars I read a lot of articles that discussed the lack of nominations for Black actors for the awards show. The majority of the people that were raising their concerns were Black actors and activists as well as other Black social media users. There were talks of boycotts and protests and it even caught the attention of major news outlets. For the most part the discussion was very black and white which had other people of colour thinking that they were not important enough to be talked about. I read a few comments on my social media that had me upset. One person on my Facebook said that if the main problem is the Oscars being white, and the need for inclusion, then that should mean inclusion for all people of colour. I totally agree with this, but the part that bothered me was when they asked for the Black actors and activists that are fighting for Black issues in Hollywood to also talk about and fight for other people of colour. I found this to be a bit unfair, I believe that it is not their responsibility to to speak for and fight for other people. Of course I am not saying that they should be ignored, but they should not be held responsible to talk on behalf of everyone. It is up to other actors of different races to raise awareness for the mistreatment of their people. It is up to other activists from racial minorities to call out the injustices that face their communities so that their voices can be heard as well. It is not Black people's fault that the majority of the discussion on why the Oscars are so white is on Black and white relations in Hollywood. It is counterproductive to fight over who’s voice is louder, there should be more POC raising issues for their community instead of fighting amongst each other.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.041 seconds.