American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 10, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: The Walking Dead...

C. M.-
Farrell
Novice Their American
The Walking Dead...
on: November 11, 2015, 08:49

One of my favorite television shows is AMC’s The Walking Dead. And I’m not alone. The Walking Dead has the highest ratings of any cable television show (surpassing Monday Night Football by 1.7 million viewers). So why is a show about survival in the zombie apocalypse so popular? Is it just another manifestation of interest in the occult and supernatural (think Twilight)? I think the fascination goes much deeper, and I’m curious to hear what others have to say about the phenomenon.

In the 19th century Karl Marx wrote that religion was the “opiate of the masses.” Although many Americans continue to identify with a particular religious tradition, I believe consumerism has become the dominant creed in 21st century America. But there’s a problem: a growing number of Americans sense that consumerism isn’t delivering on its promise of happiness. They are finding that the excitement and thrill of “retail therapy” wears off fairly quickly, only to be replaced with the desire for something else. And so the cycle continues. Akin to opium, all consumerism manages to do is provide temporary relief to a more existential longing. And as is the case with many an opium user, the addicts themselves know that opium isn’t going to bring them happiness. And yet they don’t know how to escape from the temporary relief it gives them.

Enter The Walking Dead. In the world of the zombie apocalypse, a definitive rupture has been made with the superficial (and ultimately unsatisfying) consumerist world. In the zombie apocalypse, you don’t go to work at a cubicle for 20 years writing TPS reports. You don’t pine after the newest pair of running shoes or designer purse. Your daily life isn’t circumscribed by the hum-drum commute between strip mall, suburban housing development, and soccer field. In the zombie apocalypse, life is re-imbued with a sense of adventure, exploration, and opportunity.
In the zombie apocalypse, your daily decisions matter. You take ownership of your own life and make decisions that have tangible results. You are the master of your own destiny. Your life has meaning because of the action you undertake. Sound familiar?

I think The Walking Dead appeals to the age-old American notions of independence, adventure, the self-made man, unapologetic individuality, and bold action. These same ideas were articulated in one way or another by American luminaries such as Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Henry David Thoreau.

Perhaps we could say the endurance of their ideas make these authors (wait for it…) zombies in their own right. Could it be that they are the one who truly merit the title of (DUM DUM DUM) The Walking Dead!?

CMF

stephen
Novice Their American
Re: The Walking Dead...
on: December 1, 2015, 23:40

I believe that the reason for The Walking Dead being such a massive hit, as both a television show and a comic series is that it is a story driven by the characters in the world. As C.M. said these characters are living in a world full of danger where every decision matters. When it starts it gives viewers and readers alike characters that mirror everyday people, and as the story progresses the reader or viewer gets to live vicariously through these characters. They can imagine what their lives would be like in such a world. Some episodes or issues don't even have big confrontations with zombies, because it is not the zombies and the violence that comes with them that makes the show or comic what they are, it is the remnants of society adapting in both good and evil ways to their surroundings. Basically I agree with C.M. that it is about exploration, but it is not an exploration of the setting that makes the show so interesting, instead it is the exploration of how the setting effects those within it.

MBannon
Experienced Their American
on: December 4, 2015, 17:01

I think you could definitely argue that TWD could be seen as an argument for a libertarian world view. The government appears to ignore the crisis, then fails to stem it. Note the suicide (well, he stays inside a building he knows will explode) of the last scientist of the CDC, possibly a commentary on the failure of government, the failure of collective science. Those that survive tend to be those who think for themselves, and only look out for themselves and trust friends/family. I could see Ron Paul really enjoying this show, nodding along as every promise of authority fails to deliver.

JulianaB
Novice Their American
on: December 6, 2015, 12:16

I agree with what was said above and will only expand on some of the discussion: the walking dead is a "re-pioneering" of America. We all have thoughts about starting over somewhere else in the world, but the people of TWD has been given a chance to reinvent, reimagine their own home. The land is theirs to do with as they wish, they can demolish building if they so choose, they can go anywhere. They are masters of their own design, a concept which has been perpetuated throughout all of American history, starting with the founders, and morphed into what the Declaration of Independence calls the "Pursuit of Happiness". Though happiness for TWD is primarily through survival, they have a chance of pursuing whatever their heart desires.

You could also argue that the slaying of a zombie horde for the acquisition of safe land is similar to colonialism. This idea can be taken even further if you consider that zombies have limited weaponry, are conceived as savage and simple-minded, much like the attitudes of European colonials towards Native Americans. Hypothetically, though zombies are historically characterized as villainous monsters, there is no way to communicate with them and create a discussion of their wants and needs.

You could flip this idea on its head and conceive that the zombies are colonials, and the cast of TWD are the Native Americans. This continual fear of desolation, of massacre and senseless destruction is demonstrative to the sentiments of Native Americans during this time. They had no voice with which to fight back, and the land which was originally theirs has been limited by the intruding force.
This can be taken even further if we consider the assimilation imposed onto Native Americans. They did not understand the Europeans or their religion, and yet their children were taken away and shut up in boarding schools to destroy their native culture. TWD are being assimilated into the zombie army: their previous hopes, dreams, and aspirations are being wiped clean by the single-minded purpose of zombies.

OliBedard
Novice Their American
on: December 7, 2015, 14:39

I think any discussion of contemporary zombie cinema ought to be rooted in the works of George Romero, whose original "Dead" trilogy (Night of the Living Dead in 1968, Dawn of the Dead in 1978, and Day of the Dead in 1985) formed the basis for all zombie films since, and the literature and graphic literature inspired by the genre. The question posed in the original comment of this thread (“why is a show about survival in the zombie apocalypse so popular?”) is easy enough to answer in our current context. Zombies have been popular in the mainstream for over forty years, ever since Night of the Living Dead took the U.S. by storm, and even before Romero invented the zombie tropes that are now so familiar, there were the classic horror films based loosely on the zombies of traditional Haitian folklore (see White Zombie starring Bela Lugosi in 1932), which, it should be noted, are quite distinct from the zombies of Romero, The Walking Dead, and the comic of the same name. Interestingly, it is thanks to vampires in the American Gothic literary tradition that we have the zombies we do now. Night of the Living Dead was based loosely on the great Richard Matheson novel, I Am Legend, which featured Robert Neville, a lone Poe-esque protagonist whose mind is unraveling as he struggles to survive in a boarded up house, hunted by hordes of hungry vampires which have propagated due to a virus-like bacterium. This novel, and the film it inspired (nevermind the terrible 2007 adaptation starring Will Smith, with its clumsily rendered vampire-zombie hybrids, lifeless dialogue, and saccharine Hollywood ending) presented a nihilistic vision that was all too relatable for many Americans after two world wars and, in the case of Night of the Living Dead, the escalating U.S. imperial conflict in Vietnam. Night of the Living Dead, progenitor of the contemporary zombie, was a shocking, brutal experience for viewers, depicting the senseless death of every single one of its main characters (sorry for the spoiler but it has been over four decades since it came out). I think this bears directly on the appeal of The Walking Dead. I tend to disagree with the idea that the television series is popular for any sense of adventure, exploration, or opportunity. I think this is a far too optimistic reading of the show. The Walking Dead has really hit its stride the last few seasons with an intense exploration of ruthlessness. The level of debased brutality that the main ensemble of characters (particularly Rick, Carol, Michonne, Daryl, and well... particularly everyone) resorts to in order to survive is, for the viewer, a plummeting descent into moral ambiguity. Is this perhaps reflective of a rising self-criticism of American ideals in popular art, that film watching audiences are tired of static, uplifting representations of themselves (think of the rise of the anti-hero in televised dramas)?

JulianaB
Novice Their American
on: December 7, 2015, 15:35

I just thought you might find it interesting that Will Smith's "I am Legend" and Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" are not the first movies based on the novel. Vincent Price starred in an old black and white movie called Last Man on Earth which came out in '64, four years before Romero's movie. I'm not disagreeing with what you said by any means, you're just missing a few important players in the discussion.

OliBedard
Novice Their American
on: December 11, 2015, 16:45

Oh yeah I thought the Vincent Price adaptation was great when I watched it, especially compared to the 2007 version. It at least used the novel's brilliant ending, which is the heart of the whole thing. I love Vincent Price. I didn't bring it up because it didn't feel directly relevant to my focus on The Walking Dead. There was another adaptation as well starring Charlton Heston in 1971 called The Omega Man which I haven't seen yet. I've read that it's pretty mediocre but I'll watch it at some point. Apparently it's really heavy on action, and not in a good way. The poster features Heston wielding some kind of fancy gun (big surprise).

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
on: March 19, 2016, 15:11

I think one of the most successful components illustrated in The Walking Dead is the human debasement-replacing moral ethics and 'understood principles' with priorities and survival. There are uncountable instances where characters are inclined to act in a contradicting fashion (according to societal principles) in order to survive. These actions are deemed acceptable in this atmosphere as their is no 'established society'-that is the point they are trying to get back to while surviving (surviving being the first priority). I think Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" portrays this paradigm perfectly. The unnamed father-son combination provides numerous scenes where the childhood innocence questions the contradictory actions of the adult all in the pursuit of survival and attainment of human civilization. This premise, similarly, takes place in a post-apocalyptic world as well.

MonikaPecz-
ko
Novice Their American
on: March 28, 2016, 01:43

I think what makes The Walking Dead so endlessly fascinating and popular, is how despite the highly dramatic and fantastical situations it describes, it is deeply human. The description of the first volume in the series reads:

"How many hours are in a day when you don't spend half of them watching television?
When is the last time any of us REALLY worked to get something we wanted?

How long has it been since any of us really NEEDED something that we WANTED?

The world we knew is gone.

The world of commerce and frivolous necessity has been replaced by a world of survival and responsibility."

The world we know is absolutely gone in this series. However, human tendencies remain strong and unbending. Yes, people find themselves capable of horrific acts of murder in the attempt to survive, but what I see in the series is too-human tendencies. These tendencies include finding a group and imposing some kind of communal structure on it, selecting a leader who is adequate and organized, overthrowing that leader when their interests no longer align, finding companions, creating families, etc. There is this constant attempt to impose stability on a world of chaos. Are we not also part of a world ruled by chaos? One could argue society, culture, all those things are constructs meant to distract us and give us some feeling of control. Walking Dead breaks that down in the most terrifying way.

Quote from C. M. Farrell on November 11, 2015, 08:49
In the zombie apocalypse, your daily decisions matter. You take ownership of your own life and make decisions that have tangible results. You are the master of your own destiny. Your life has meaning because of the action you undertake. Sound familiar?[/b]

I think The Walking Dead appeals to the age-old American notions of independence, adventure, the self-made man, unapologetic individuality, and bold action. These same ideas were articulated in one way or another by American luminaries such as Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Henry David Thoreau.

I think this is an incredibly fascinating point as well. The stakes have certainly changed, but you are still the master of your own fate. Your daily decisions, at this moment, in the real world are what truly matter. Having Emerson and Thoreau at your side may even prove helpful in a Walking Dead scenario. I was never taken by Zombie fiction or film, but The Walking Dead gave it such a human aspect I found myself drawn in. I still wonder sometimes how it gained this much popularity, but everyone's posts offer excellent understandings. It truly touches upon fundamental elements of society and culture that may seem wholly removed from us, who are obviously not living in the zombie apocalypse, but somehow can be proven applicable.

C. M.-
Farrell
Novice Their American
on: March 31, 2016, 13:01

I read OliBedard's post from December 7, 2015, 14:39 and wanted to reply. She writes:

"I tend to disagree with the idea that the television series is popular for any sense of adventure, exploration, or opportunity. I think this is a far too optimistic reading of the show. The Walking Dead has really hit its stride the last few seasons with an intense exploration of ruthlessness."

I maintain my stance that part of the series' initial success can be attributed to a spirit of adventure, exploration, and opportunity. That being said, I agree fully with OliBedard that as the seasons have progressed, the show has taken a decidedly sinister shift to examine the dark things of which man is capable. In fact, as several commentators have noted, the show no longer really needs the zombies---many episodes now hardly feature them. Now the real danger comes from fellow humans. Whereas in the initial seasons groups of individuals welcomed strangers into their groups in a bid for communal survival, that dynamic has now completely disappeared. It's one of the reasons I no longer find the show particularly satisfying, and will in all likelihood make this my last season.

CMF

stephen
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 21:07

People being the danger is true for the show however I believe that it is the people behind the camera that are the danger and not the new communities being introduced. Instead of focusing on and building a story that relies on their characters and how they develop, they are creating a show that has an incredible amount of cliffhangers as well as character death fake outs to keep audiences coming back. Thats not to say that the cliff hanger has not been used to great effect in the show, for instance the final to season 5 where Rick and his group are trapped in Terminus with no hope of escape was fantastic, it ended the season and its story perfectly while setting up the next and leaving the audience wondering how they are going to escape. However as this show has gone on they seem to be focussing less on quality and more on what can shock people more.This is where I see the danger, as they continue to tease the death of Glen and even go on to not show who died at the end of the season finale, the show has ceased to be about story and all about money. Who can they make more money off of to keep or kill on the show? Well now they have months to decide that instead of having a story completed leaving many fans upset. The show like many others with its popularity is being killed by corporate greed, posing a greater danger to the characters we love than any zombie.

SN_America
Novice Their American
on: April 11, 2016, 16:34

The Walking Dead is an interesting phenomenon, its popularity as one commenter noted can be seen as a reformulation of American staples such as Emerson’s Self Reliance and Turner’s Frontier thesis; since many of the characters no longer have the trappings of society, they must fend for themselves. Turner postulates that the American Frontier creates Americans and the land itself was a primal perdition that forged a new American subjectivity. But this is where it gets interesting, what kind of American is forged in the frontier of post-Zombie Apocalypse America? It would be interesting to line this vision of America alongside McCarthy’s The Road - The Road reflects the neoliberal times we live in, individuals trying to struggle together in a cosmos of danger and distrust. I think Mark Fischer in his text Capitalist Realism would put The Walking Dead alongside the growth of post-apocayptic media at the end of the 20th century; in his opinion these texts and pieces of media reflect a poverty in our imagination for political alternatives. We cannot conceive a path out of our present ills, making TWD a reflection that all we can imagine is the destruction of the present in order to open the terrain.

Revol-
Sexton
on: March 28, 2017, 19:13

What I'd like to point out (which I believe the original post understands) is that the best zombie tales are actually NOT zombie stories - they are often other stories which use zombies as a metaphor to function within these stories. For example, early zombie films are not zombie films, but political films about the horrors of communism, using zombies as a metaphor for communism. A more specific example would be the 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead, which is in essence a horror story about the fear of capitalism, which uses zombies as a metaphor for mindless consumerism. The most effective horror stories often uses the supernatural as metaphors for us to better understand ourselves. We see this also with the original Godzilla film, which is not a monster film, but rather a disaster and war film about the fear and consequences of WWII and the Nuclear Bomb, with Godzilla being an embodiment of foreign weapons. Cultural and historical circumstances dictate what people find interesting or popular (Godzilla was most relevant in a post-WWII Japan, zombie films were popular during the Cold War / the rising fear of Russia). I think an argument could be made for the Walking Dead's popularity being attributed to the increase in American nationalism and neo-liberalism (the individual, lone survivors rising about the masses as heroes) - very much the opposite of AMC former, highly-acclaimed series Breaking Bad, in which we follow a neo-liberal, self-involved character who functions as a warning against the corrupting nature of neo-liberal narcisism; we follow protagonist Walter White descend to madness and constantly deal with the consequences of his persistently neo-liberal mindset.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.