American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 16, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: "Have patience with us: The Iraqi Prime Minister`s plea to Americans"

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
"Have patience with us: The Iraqi Prime Minister`s plea to Americans"
on: October 29, 2013, 23:58

Have Patience With Us: The Iraqi Prime Minister’s Plea to Americans
By NURI KAMAL al-MALIKI

BAGHDAD — Imagine how Americans would react if you had a terrorist organization operating on your own soil that killed dozens and maimed hundreds every week. For Iraqis, that isn’t a hypothetical question; Al Qaeda in Iraq and its affiliates are conducting a terrorist campaign against our people. These terrorists aren’t just Iraq’s enemies. They are also America’s enemies. That is why, when I meet with President Obama on Friday, I plan to propose a deeper security relationship between the United States and Iraq to combat terrorism and address broader regional security concerns, including the conflict in Syria and the threat that proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons could pose in the region.
It has been almost two years since American troops withdrew from Iraq. And despite the terrorist threats we face, we are not asking for American boots on the ground. Rather, we urgently want to equip our own forces with the weapons they need to fight terrorism, including helicopters and other military aircraft so that we can secure our borders and protect our people. Hard as it is to believe, Iraq doesn’t have a single fighter jet to protect its airspace. [...]

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/opinion/international/have-patience-with-us.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

The United States' patience will endure, it seems to me, so long as Iraq's growing economy can produce, as al-Maliki puts it, "promising partners for American companies." Or, to reverse Brian Jones' argument (in the General Discussion), it is all about the oil here...

Brian-
Jones
Veteran Their American
Re: "Have patience with us: The Iraqi Prime Minister`s plea to Americans"
on: October 30, 2013, 01:33

Geoff, you didn't pull a Michael Moore there, did you, and omit the part about "rebuilding our infrastructure and reviving our education and health care systems. As we rebuild, Iraqis can be promising partners for American companies in all of these fields."?
(Italics mine.)
Rather like Germany and Japan, no?
And someday (the argument continues), just as in Germany and Japan, Iraq's middle class--even under Hussein the largest in the Middle East (hence the prime focus of the liberal democratic bacteria)--will take its equal place, as a calming and stabilizing influence in the very heart of that troubled region.
And then we will ask them, as they celebrate that victory, won with their blood, sweat and tears, what are you going to do now?

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
on: October 30, 2013, 02:45

[Removing Detroit Tigers ball cap] No, sir!
Only if Iraq can remain a promising business partner -- pumping oil, and giving infrastructure contracts to American companies -- can it possibly prolong the patience of the U.S. (otherwise, Iraq begins to resemble Vietnam, not Japan or Germany, and America turns its attention elsewhere -- until, I suppose, it's forced, because of severe political unrest in the region, to turn it back).
Will America remain patient with Iraq? Only if it stays interested, as al-Maliki prudently reminds America it should, in Iraq's impressive economic potential ("We have one of the world’s fastest-growing economies; it expanded by 9.6 percent in 2011 and 10.5 percent in 2012." etc.). Even if the American people are, as Brian might say, patient in waiting and hoping for Disneyland to be built in Baghdad (though how do we locate the essential intentions of a very diverse 315 million? who did that poll?), the key factor in the American government's investment there will be, I reckon, the prospect of big returns.
It's all about the oil (and the infrastructure contracts -- which might even revive, who knows, good ol' Flint).

Brian-
Jones
Veteran Their American
on: October 30, 2013, 23:24

Okay, so we're getting somewhere.
"It's all about the oil and the infrastructure contracts" now.
But still not about anything good, or praiseworthy, or worth fighting for, without cynicism or irony.
Not about what al Maliki, the Iraqis' democratically elected leader, says it is.
"Iraqis are grateful for the great sacrifices Americans have made on behalf of our country. But Iraq today is no longer a protectorate; it is a partner in what President Obama has described as 'a normal relationship based on mutual interests and mutual respect.' "
The 100 billion dollars given--and largely squandered by bad management--by the American people to the Iraqi people, to jump start the reconstruction of their country, so that they too could enjoy the first halting taste of the life and liberty you take for granted; the sacrifice of American soldiers and civilians; the 42% of foreign investment in Iraq from Asia in 2011 (South Korea's 25% is twice America's), the 25% from Europe, and the 12.4% from America; is all essentially in the aid of or straightforwardly American carpetbagging?
Are they all carpetbaggers? the Asians just four-times as bad?
Or are they investing in something that your logic effectively denies (and certainly damages), the future of a democratic Iraq?

Of course, especially still in the shadow of the world's financial crisis, Iraq must increasingly earn its investment, as any proud and free economy must; but the proof, of a fledgling western-style political economy, in the center--in the very teeth--of the most unWestern of environments, is undeniable (consider the recent summary by the non-partisan Middle East Institute: http://www.mei.edu/content/investing-iraq-prospects-and-challenges --or are they Haliburton stooges as well?).

Of course the disconnects to Germany and Japan are many and profound. This is Iraq we're talking about, in the age of South Park, and the government did a very bad job of serving all that sacrifice. But the comparison to Vietnam is simply grotesque and demeaning. I'm sure you don't mean it. That was an effectively unwinnable war; this a winnable peace.

As you say in the About section of this site, when esse est percipi, America percepta matters more, sometimes more even than America itself. And this is my point here, exactly. We could argue forever about how much croneyism and corruption blemished that outpouring of generosity and sacrifice on the part of Americans (again); how much flailing attended the steady movement of its unmoving center of gravity; how long Iraq's delicate democracy can hold out against the brutal forces bludgeoning it from all sides; but finally it comes down to a question of faith, I think, and optimism. The self-serving, easy cynicism of the Mooreish anti-faith has none. And like any form of ubiquitous cynicism, it has the quality--and bears the responsibility--of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
on: October 31, 2013, 12:45

Patience, and what can prolong it, is (for pragmatic, not cynical, me) the key here. I'm not sure what the United States' "unmoving center of gravity" is (or how on earth that would plausibly be gauged -- America, like Michael Moore himself, is large, and contains multitudes), but I'm willing to bet its attention span is relatively brief. The good, generous intentions of the U.S. (which are undeniably part of those multitudes) won't hold out long, it seems to me, without some proof of return on investment. The Vietnam comparison doesn't seem at all grotesque in this respect, just apt: whatever complex of motivations are responsible for the original intervention, the will to pay for it (in American lives or American gold) will have to compete with the sense that it's just not worth it anymore.

Wyatt Dick
Veteran Their American
on: November 13, 2013, 11:52

I've spent several days learning everything I could about the Iraq War--in fact, I wrote what eventually sprawled into over a page of commentary about how difficult it is for the average person to sort through the dizzying number of divergent opinions and ‘facts’ about the war. In the end, I decided that posting this commentary would be too great a digression; but I can summarize by saying I strongly urge us to approach any analysis of the war with great humility, and to be especially skeptical of simple, neat, and easy to understand narratives.

With that said, I do think we can make some comments about the American character. My take on Brian’s unmoving center of gravity is that he is referring to something fundamental in the American psyche. America is an aspirational place, and I think history tells us that it is very American to want to be the hero: to save the day, wear the white hat, and help people. Many suggest that when it comes to its foreign policy, realism and idealism are two competing aspects of America’s true self. I disagree, and think that idealism is the true self, while realism is a suppression of this true self in the face of strategic considerations. But it’s not American to want to be a realist.

Europeans, in contrast, don’t appear to be as aspirational, and seem more comfortable just being who they are, while letting others follow their own paths as well. Perhaps this reluctance to get involved in the affairs of others is a result of Europe’s longer history and deeper culture. A sense of shame over its colonial past, and a greater inclination towards philosophical and moral relativism, may also contribute. Britain—never quite part of Europe—is an interesting case. Tony Blair, who is of course by no means a typical Brit, seemed to be motivated by a certain sense of duty. Above all, his speeches sparked the most for me when he talked about doing the right thing when it was difficult to do so.

Of course this American heroic ideal doesn’t always carry the day when decisions are being made and interests balanced. But its influence is always felt, often more at the ground level than at the top, where the higher order strategic considerations that sometimes limit the ideal’s expression hold less sway. Providing a better life for the people of Iraq was never put forward as the primary reason for the war, but it was always among the supporting rationales. And as things went sideways, and Americans needed to look for reasons to stay, you started to hear more about helping Iraqis. When soldiers are interviewed, they don’t talk about geo-political strategy; rather, they are proudest of having liberated Iraq, and of having left it a better place. When the war was freshly won, there were no standing orders yet for how to administer Iraq. What did soldiers do? They began assembling village elders and working to keep the peace, help people, and start rebuilding. They did this until they were told to stop by Rumsfeld, who didn’t want the army to become entangled in policing the locals—he’d been hoping for a swift handover of all such duties to a provisional Iraqi government.

I cannot tell you exactly which American actions were motivated by generosity and the heroic ideal, and which were inspired by self-interest. Events are too complex for that, and often both motivations were involved (and aligned). But when you take things down to the level of the individual, it typically seemed like the more generous ideals provided the real day-to-day muscle behind a person’s actions. Take Paul Bremer, the primary American ‘Viceroy’ in Iraq. He may have made mistakes. And he clearly understood that America had interests in Iraq. However, when you watch videos of him, you can see that he worked himself to the bone during his period as administrator: 20-hour workdays, unexpected surprises every few hours, etc. And when you listen to interviews of Bremer from that time, it is clear that what is ‘getting him up in the morning’ is helping Iraqis. You see this in interviews with the troops as well.

Coming to the more specific assertions made in this thread, I’m actually a little uncertain what Geoff is suggesting. With respect to oil contracts, they may have been among the many ticks in the “go to war” column, but I do not believe the desire to secure oil contracts was ever a decisive factor in the decision to go to war. Even if one approaches this from a completely mercenary perspective, the potential profits are just too small relative to the cost of the war (even acknowledging that in the beginning, everyone thought the war would be much cheaper). Granted, many of Bush and Cheney’s acquaintances were ‘oilmen’ (as were Bush and Cheney), but the President and Vice-President were also fierce patriots. I cannot see either of them putting corporate profits ahead of the national interest. And it seems to me that spending hundreds of billions from the national treasury to put a fraction of that money back in the coffers of a few private oil firms would be just that. From what I have read, the primary aim with respect to oil was to keep it flowing so as to maintain the world oil supply and keep prices from spiking. To the extent that American involvement was motivated by oil, it was ultimately about making sure that someone was pumping Iraqi oil, and it didn’t really matter who that was.

With regard to the idea that America is some kind of ‘fair weather friend’ because it will leave if Iraq make the relationship too costly for the American’s to afford, I’m not sure I see Geoff’s point. This is true of any relationship, be it between nations or individuals. At some point, any connection can simply become too difficult to maintain. This is so axiomatic that it doesn’t really tell us anything. What distinguishes is how high the threshold is before you walk away. And what kinds of ‘returns’ one is looking for to justify their ‘investment’. In the American case, I see no evidence that a few paltry (in the context of a trillion dollars worth of sunk costs) oil contracts are what America needs to stay involved. The ‘returns’ America is interested in are much broader than that. At this point, America is primarily looking for progress along the road to democracy, and the influence that will have on the Middle East. And it is worth remembering that despite Obama running on a platform that called for a complete American withdrawal from Iraq, in the end he asked to stay. The administration wanted to keep a significant number of forces on the ground past 2011; it was the Iraqis who refused.

Brian-
Jones
Veteran Their American
on: November 14, 2013, 11:32

Wyatt: When soldiers are interviewed, they don’t talk about geo-political strategy; rather, they are proudest of having liberated Iraq, and of having left it a better place. When the war was freshly won, there were no standing orders yet for how to administer Iraq. What did soldiers do? They began assembling village elders and working to keep the peace, help people, and start rebuilding.

Dupes and patsies. Cogs in the machine, baby, cogs in the machine.

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
on: November 14, 2013, 21:45

No no (to snarky Brian), that's not at all how I'd interpret Wyatt's (rather Ron Howard-ish) narrative ("What did soldiers do? They began assembling village elders and working to keep the peace, help people, and start rebuilding." And one fine morning...). I'm sure there's a lot of truth to that story -- and a lot of truthful counter-narratives, too.
I'm all for acknowledging the reality of Americans' "heroic ideals" (and actions), and the role they've played in rebuilding Iraq (and other nations before it), though I remain skeptical about interpreting these as having a firm and definitive place at the helm of the ol' ship of state, or in the mysterious 'center of gravity' of its eclectic crew. America's (not) just a soul whose intentions are good; oh lord, please don't let her be misunderstood...

We've got three Canadians weighing in here (Wyatt/Brian/Geoff) -- and I reckon this topic could use a little more regional diversity. What do you say, Their America?

Carl H
on: November 14, 2013, 22:03

A "counter-narrative" ...

Brian-
Jones
Veteran Their American
on: November 15, 2013, 04:28

Geoff: America's (not) just a soul whose intentions are good

Oops, sorry, I stand corrected.

Brian-
Jones
Veteran Their American
on: November 15, 2013, 05:43

(Seriously though, I guess I'll exit stage right now, as I seem doomed to misrepresent myself here, to no good effect; but shall follow the comments of others with great interest.
In leaving, may I just summarize?
(1) I have never spoken of heroism or white-hat idealism, in any form, but only of basic decency and generosity at the heart of the people in action (which may sometimes appear heroic of course), denied both by the cynics and the zealots like my socialist friend in the video (though, as I've said elsewhere, only a fool identifies America, or any democracy, with its government).
(2) Much--most--of what has transpired in Iraq has been what I have called 'flailing', and flailing is never good, nor easy to distinguish, for cynics and zealots, from the center of gravity of a person or culture; only much later, if ever, can we see the essential lines of their movement, often invisible to them at the time. (Thus my argument would be the same, even if (incredibly) not one American used the betterment of Iraq as a rationale for the invasion.) Far beneath the level of this debate, the essential lines of America and Islam are in collision, like those of America and its own fundamentalists; and to fail to grasp that, by getting lost in this, seems a shame to me.
(3) If I've failed to make myself clear yet, ill-served by my own Disneyland joke perhaps, it's not all about anything for me, at least not anything on the level of this worldly debate; in the same way it wasn't all about anything at Borodino for Tolstoy. Here I agree with Wyatt's far more educated point.
And here I retire, with sincere apologies for any perceived snarkiness.)

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.