American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 13, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Gary Shteyngart on Trumps America

TrentStude-
nt5029
Gary Shteyngart on Trumps America
on: February 7, 2017, 21:21

In an short essay distributed by The New Yorker and titled “Living in Trump’s Soviet Union,” Gary Shteyngart comments on the state of present-day America (and much of the Western world for that matter), comparing it to late-twentieth century Russia, drawing on many parallels that continue exist in the Western world today. Shteyngart also draws reference to the American society he grew up in as an immigrant. I think what this essay proves the most is that any apparent progress that has been made in terms of acceptance and equality of races and ethnicities that are not Western and White has been very slow, if there has been progression at all. To quote Shteyngart, “[t]he graffito ‘Russia is for the Russians,’ scribbled next to a synagogue, and the words ‘Vote Trump,’ written on a torched black church in Mississippi, are separated by the cold waters of the Atlantic but united by an imaginary grievance—a vigil for better times that may never have existed.” Despite his claim of surprise, I believe Shteyngart was well aware of this issue well before the 2016 election, or even the Republican presidential nomination campaign. In his novel Absurdistan, Shteyngart tells the fictional, darkly-humorous story of Misha: a Russian Jew that does not want to be considered a Russian Jew at all, but instead yearns for a multicultural identity and craves to be back in America – the land of supposed opportunity, freedom, liberty, justice, and love. And yet, despite Misha’s love and want for America, it rejects him on the basis of his Father killing an Oklahoman man: an event he had no involvement in. Although the circumstances are deeply different, and the novel’s problems are only fictional, there are many parallels to be drawn from Absurdistan, (written over ten years ago in 2006 and set before the fateful events of September 11, 2001) to the present problems that America is facing and has been facing for decades. The book, in my opinion, proves that although many Americans seem to believe that Trump’s rise to power has brought about a new kind of racism and hate, it is simply not true. Racism and hate have seemingly always existed in America, and indeed, the world; it is the same hate experienced years ago in the Russia and U.S. that Shteyngart grew up to know. Trump is no doubt a catalyst, and proponent, and an encourager of such behaviour, but the ideologies themselves are nothing new – they have existed for years and have only been hidden in less obvious ways until recently. Misha, although arguably obnoxious and self-important, is not a real threat to American society, and yet, he is deemed to be one because of his familial ties. This can in many ways be linked to the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis (and other such global issues); America is more than hesitant to accept Syrian refugees because they have apparent ties through religion and ethnicity (although not through senses of empathy or ideology, and even the tie to religion is arguable) to people that have threatened Western society. It is the same reason why Trump wants to build a wall to keep out illegal Mexican immigrants, whom he has previously categorized as “bad hombres,” rapists, and drug-dealers, and also the reasoning behind the more recent, controversial “Muslim Ban.” In closing his essay, Shteyngart says, “[…] I grew up in a dystopia—will I have to die in one, too?” It is a good question to ask, and unfortunately at the present-time (as in the preceding years), the answer does not seem to be hopeful or promising.

Here is a link to the essay, if anyone is interested: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/21/aftermath-sixteen-writers-on-trumps-america#shteyngart

I would also encourage you to take a look at Shteyngart's official Facebook page. His post concerning the Muslim Ban, although short, offered a much-needed perspective.

purple
Novice Their American
Re: Gary Shteyngart on Trumps America
on: February 8, 2017, 16:12

I really enjoyed reading your post and the essay. The connection in the essay and the novel to globalization is very clear. Shteyngart's character of Misha is a prime example of globalization as he is connected to so many nationalities in various ways (his connection to Russia, to America, and all of the nationalities connected to his New York girlfriend). After reading the essay, it is clear that Shtenyngart was able to use his own experiences to outline the similarities between the current America that we see today and the 20th century Russia. Although globalization has always been a prominent theme in the news, I think that because of Trump, it has become a very popular theme. I personally have noticed over the past year hearing a lot more news stories connected to globalization being featured more than ever. Globalization is all about the integration of all nations and like you have stated in your post, Trump has many ideas and beliefs that really do challenge the hope for globalization. Trump wants American to be for American’s and be a solitaire country, not relying on anyone or any other countries. He wants to build the wall and has already began to ban certain people from entering the country only based on what country or religion people are from. Shtenyngart was able to draw on his own experience as an immigrant child to write for Misha, and many of the issues that he faced are still prominent today. Between his life, the novel, and the current life that this essay describes you can easily compare issues that all of them come up against. Some of them are extremely similar that it seems as though nothing has changed over all of these years! I like your point about how Trump is a catalyst for these types of ideologies but that he didn’t create them. This point really makes it evident that these ideologies have been around for a long time which, at the end of the day, is harmful to globalization. Trump doesn’t help globalization (and he is not right in many of his claims), but it isn’t just him and it isn’t just during our present time period, this has been happening all throughout history. Unfortunately many people have had to deal with others that have these ideologies and all throughout history (ie; Schteyngart as an immigrant).

Sarah Tax
Novice Their American
on: March 10, 2017, 14:09

After reading both the very interesting posts of my fellow classmates and the article "Living in Trumps Soviet Union" (the Dystopia section by Gary Shtenyngart) as well as the novel Absurdistan as it is hard not to notice Shtenyngarts strong opinion on the topic of globalization. In this article Shtenyngart compares current day America to Russia in 1979, when the soviet union was still in power and people faced mass oppression under a communist system of government. During this discussion he describes how there is security in being white when we live in a world that is so plagued by racism and in the article he states that "racism, misogyny and antisemitism bind people closer then any other experiences" which is an idea that i think really showed its self in the aftermath of the American presidential election, as the result of which we saw Trump, a man who is openly racist and sexist among other things, appeal to so many Americans and now represents them globally. Shtenyngart continues throughout the article to compare Russia and the U.S in the context of dystopia and authoritarianism as he frighteningly predicts the future of the U.S. This being said however, as my fellow classmates mentioned in their posts it is obvious that Trump didn't invent racism, and he is just a symptom of a much larger problem that has been in existence for much of history, but i think it can also be said that during the election Trump used his raciest ideology to inspire hatred in others and to rally people for his cause, the effects of which are now being felt all over the world, an example being with his travel ban.
This idea is in turn reflected within Absurdistan as many of these attitudes are reflected through Misha who exhibits racist behaviors despite the fact that he claims to be cultured and accepting of all individuals. I think the Misha can be compared to Trump in the sense that they both want to use globalism to their own benefits for example Misha has taken part in the mass consumption of American culture and now expects and is discontent with anything other then that level of convenience, where as Trump is willing to have his name known all over the world as a business man with his chain of hotels and buildings- both are willing to accept globalism if they can profit in someway but are otherwise unwilling to let others benefit, nor are they accepting of cultural diffrences.
I think that especially with Trump as president of the U.S , a very large and powerful nation, globalism will be an issue of importance in the world and it will be interesting to see where we all end up at the end of this, but as Shtenyngart is predicting, and how my fellow classmates also feel, the outcome does not look hopeful.

global_eye-
s
Novice Their American
on: April 2, 2017, 23:09

"Super Sad True Love Story" is also written by Gary Shteyngart and constitutes a futuristic critique of society that can be avoided by reading this book. Signs stating, "ALWAYS Keep Your Credit Ranking Within Limits / AMERICAN RESTORATION AUTHORITY / "TOGETHER WE'LL SURPRISE THE WORLD!"" foretell today's saying "Let's make America Great Again". The idea seems to be that behaviour incited by this saying is acceptable. There is also the sharing of credit scores, something a few years ago was only shared upon the purchase of a cell phone. People did not go around advertising their credit scores. Today there are commercials demonstrating the announcement of scores to one another. And in reality people still don't do that. But Shteyngart is clearly on to something, something threatening.

ashleyhunt-
e
on: April 4, 2017, 12:49

I like this post and how it links Shteyngart's pre-Trump work to his essay on Trump's America. There are a lot of surprising parallels between "Abrsurdistan" and today's America, such as Misha being kept from entering the US because of his family resembling the way Trump tries to ban people of various backgrounds (such as those from Muslim majority countries as well as the "bad hombres" from Mexico).
I also agree with the way "Super Sad True Love Story" can relate back to this argument. While it is not necessarily a book about politics, politics do play a huge role. There is this almost dystopian feeling to the America in the book, which evidently reflects the way some people feel about America's fate while Trump is in office.

GlobalApat-
hy
on: April 6, 2017, 10:51

I hadn’t even thought of the connection that Misha’s travel ban to the United States had with Donald Trump’s real travel ban currently imposed (and halted). That’s one of those surreal moments with art imitating life that seems unlikely. This actually became an interesting point of thought for me when reflecting on Super Sad True Love Story (SSTLS). One of the themes that I felt really stood out for me in SSTLS was Shytengart’s American “wasteland” setting in that story. Just as you pointed out the travel ban connection in Absurdistan, I couldn’t help but get the same impression that eventually if the country doesn’t stabilize its debt it will one day wake up and face this dystopian future of SSTLS as a reality. Of course, there are checks and balances that keeps the system a float and China (holding the majority of the American debt) would also be harming themselves should they pull the trigger and call in the debt. But still, even if they didn’t the reality of watching the American financial crisis in 2008 is a haunting reminder that when things get bad, they get downright dangerous and the whole world feels the impact. The very real negative impact the world is facing with the increases in populism can and will affect, or at least halt the progress of globalization. What comes out of it, I guess is what authors have written about in their various works (doomsday scenarios), in this case, Shytengart’s art imitating life.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.092 seconds.