American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 12, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Native American Unbroken Wilderness

TrentStude-
nt93
Novice Their American
Native American Unbroken Wilderness
on: January 28, 2017, 23:55

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gathering-of-nations-powwow_us_5723aee4e4b0b49df6ab469b?utm_hp_ref=native-americans

I am curious to know how many people knew information about Native Americans, from factual news, or if you knew them based off of the films, cartoons, or comedy sketches that have come up?

“It’s a sad reality that many non-Native Americans know little to nothing about the Native tribes that have lived in the United States since long before the states were colonies. Pop culture imagery, like that of Pocahontas, in her clinging buckskin dress, or the mystical depiction of Indian people in J.K. Rowling’s recent story “History of Magic in North America,” tend to perpetuate stereotypes about almost mythical Native Americans, lost to history along with unbroken wilderness" ("Native And Indigenous Peoples Come Together To Celebrate Heritage").

I wish I could say that I was familiar with the Native American culture from the positive things I have heard about them through discussions and news stories, but unfortunately I have not. Growing up, my idea on Native Americans was based off of the characters in the movie “Pocahontas,” like the example used in this article. This article caught my attention because there is so many stereotypes on the Native American culture, and what does not get represented clearly is their beautiful heritage and their strong, spiritual beliefs. These are things I think we (I) have been learning in the past few weeks of this course, from the texts we have been reading. The short stories we read in our second class really draw us a picture of what life is like for Native Americans, and I don’t know about you, but it is a reality check for me when I read things like this. This article also discusses the strong ties these individuals have to their heritage, and it reminded me of the ties that Abel has in “House Made of Dawn.” I think that Abel loses his identity for a while, and he finds it again when he returns home—to his family and his culture.

DanielleSw-
an
Re: Native American Unbroken Wilderness
on: January 31, 2017, 19:48

Before University I did not learn much about Indigenous history and their struggle to date, but I was friends with Native Americans and had no idea what they were going through and what their ancestors had gone through because that is not something that is easily talked about. I saw movies like Pocahontas but did not even register that Native Americans / Indigenous were the same as those in these movies. Looking at Momadays House Made of Dawn in class makes me wonder what the reserves are still going through and that they are real people going through real struggles. As well as brings up how much, like Abel, they could be fighting for their culture, not only against settlers but with themselves as well. It must be difficult to decide if you are Canadian, Native Canadian where your culture fits in and where it has to give to more Euro Canadian cultures before losing oneself.

Looking at The Guardian article “Over My Dead Body': Tribe aims to block Trumps border wall on Arizona land” by: Sam Levin shows how much Native Americans are in the news and that a lot of people are not seeing their struggle. I did not watch or read the news much before it being a requirement through class and has brought to my attention how much I am missing. Not just me but the rest of society who is more wrapped in the Kardashians news then the history that is being made around them.
“The Tohono O’odham tribe, which has roughly 28,000 members and controls 2.8m acres of a reservation in south-western Arizona, has long struggled with the militarized international border that was drawn through the middle of its traditional lands”.
I never realized just how big some of the reserves are and how many indigenous are around, because things like this are not shown in the movies. We do not see that our attempted destruction of their land and culture is not as glamorous or romantic as it seems in the movies. Overall this shows that the Indigenous really are the 'unbroken wilderness' as your post is labelled for they keep fighting, their spirits unbroken.

sashaduart-
e
Novice Their American
on: February 1, 2017, 00:23

I enjoyed your post, Michelle. You have made some great connections between the ideas about Native Americans found in popular culture and the texts we have studied in this course, even connecting these ideas back to your personal experience growing up. Similar to your experience growing up, unfortunately, my understanding of Native Americans was also built on Disney’s stereotypical representations. It wasn’t until high school that I was given more accurate and eye opening information about Native Americans. I believe this discussion could also be connected back to the article we looked at in class, “Donald Trump and Federal Indian Policy: ‘They Don’t Look Like Indians to Me,’” as this raises questions of identity. It is impossible to say that every Native American will look like “Pocahontas,” let alone deem that there is to be a definitive physical feature or clothing article that would pin an individual as a Native American. Presumably Donald Trump has also learned his ideas about Native Americans from Disney. We need to keep in mind that each Native American individual will look different. Furthermore, we need to acknowledge the context of time in the appearance, actions, and traditions of Native Americans. Over time, the types of cultural dress for each tribe may change, and with that their traditions may change as well. Through the character of Abel in Momaday’s House Made of Dawn, he exposes the struggle many individuals may go through in identifying as Native American. Although the conclusion of the novel remains ambiguous in regards to Abel’s outcome, I believe that Abel begins to identify as a Native American and will follow the traditions as passed down by his grandfather. More importantly, I also believe that Abel may make slight changes to these traditions to accommodate his own needs just as much of the Native American community has done to date.

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/news/politics/donald-trump-and-federal-indian-policy-they-dont-look-like-indians-to-me/

Lindsey44
Novice Their American
on: February 11, 2017, 16:34

When reading this news article about “native and indigenous peoples from around the world are celebrating their cultures, competing in dance and song, and showcasing their art — to each other, and to the world”, I am reminded of House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday. This novel does speak almost directly to what this article is saying that “It’s a sad reality that many non-Native Americans know little to nothing about the Native tribes that have lived in the United States since long before the states were colonies” this unfortunately holds true for many of us to this day because as the article says most of us grew up learning what Native American culture was based off of Disney movies such as Pocahontas and Peter Pan where they show these people but do not actually show who they really are or what their traditions are. This novel sets out to break the stereotypes held against Native Americans and in doing so gives us a look into their culture. We see Abel struggling with his decisions to leave his family and their traditions behind and only see him start to feel a little bit better when he decides to go back home to the reserve to visit his grandfather and get back to his cultural roots. The article goes on to further state “such interest in Native American culture is certainly long overdue, but these stunning photos (all courtesy of the Gathering of Nations) show that Native culture isn’t historical or lost — it’s still here, and still breathtaking” this is sadly true it is about time that people take an interest in what Native American culture is and that we all take time to learn about it and teach future generations about them, this is why there are classes now offering to teach us about the past and about their culture because it is indeed long overdue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gathering-of-nations-powwow_us_5723aee4e4b0b49df6ab469b?utm_hp_ref=native-americans

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.087 seconds.