American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 20, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Lack of Representation in Film

JulianaB
Novice Their American
Lack of Representation in Film
on: March 17, 2016, 11:00

I will start by providing you with Viola Davis' Emmy speech:

As the first black woman to win an Emmy, I think what she has to say about the industry rings very true. She says that the only difference between black women and everyone else, is opportunity. And she's absolutely right, there is a distinct lack of representation of people of colour in television and film.

What's even worse is when you realize that a lot of the movies based on real life minorities are being portrayed by white actors. So while Viola calls for opportunity by writing more roles for people of colour, the response is to give those same opportunities to white actors.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/26-times-white-actors-played-people-of-color-and-no-one-really-gave-a-sht_us_56cf57e2e4b0bf0dab313ffc

Obviously this goes much deeper into the history of film and the minstrel show, but I think this is a good start to discussion.

JulianaB
Novice Their American
Re: Lack of Representation in Film
on: March 17, 2016, 11:02

There is a movie being created about a road trip in the wake of 9/11, and one of the prominent characters is Michael Jackson. And he will be played by a white man. This movie takes place in 2001, at a time when Jackson's skin tone was considerably lighter than his younger years, but there is a lot of debate about a white man being chosen to portray an african american.

It's unlikely that the movie will get as racey as old minstrel shows, in which white men wore black face to play the fool, but it's hard to ignore the complications of this casting choice. The very fact that Jackson's skin lightened over time has been a topic of unrest for a lot of people of colour. When I first heard this news, I was upset about it, yet I couldn't come to a happy conclusion. Would it have been more acceptable to chose an african american actor and cover him in makeup?

JulianaB
Novice Their American
on: March 17, 2016, 11:06

And then arguably the most troublesome case of a casting choice is in an upcoming biopic about Nina Simone, a black singer who faced a lot of prejudice based the darkness of her skin tone. In the upcoming movie, Zoe Saldana will be portraying the jazz singer, but there's a huge problem with that. Physically, Saldana bears no resemblance to the icon and none of the options present have been appealing to moviegoers: either Saldana maintains her natural appearance and offers an inaccurate portrayal of the star, or the actress would be made to appear darker. In production photos, it seems that the team behind “Nina” chose to go with the second option.

A lot of critiques are calling this blackface, and arguing that there are plenty of amazing black women who are the right skin tone to portray Nina. So while this was a role written specifically for a black actress, it falls flat by choosing an actress who simply does not satisfy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3474176/Zoe-Saldana-fire-blackface-trailer-new-Nina-Simone-biopic-legendary-singer-civil-rights-activist-s-family-tell-actress-hell.html

Amanda-
Bourikas
Novice Their American
on: March 30, 2016, 23:49

I agree with the above statements by Juliana. As Viola Davis said in her speech, "you cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there" and those who are responsible for creating those roles are writers, casting directors, producers, and the CEO's of film companies and other agencies in Hollywood. Therefore, these inner workings/behind the scenes aspect of Hollywood needs to be majorly revamped, hence #OscarsSoWhite. Having roles that portray racial stereotypes as the "norm" and white-washing characters is lazy and racist. This video clip from Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (2016) does a great job of summing up what Juliana and I both have written so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebG4TO_xss.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maitlandquitmeyer/viola-daviss-daughter-dressed-up-as-her-mom-for-halloween-an#.mmJ0ol1kp

This article above is one of the many examples as to why representation matters. Viola Davis' daughter dressed up as her mother for Halloween post-Emmy win, and this goes to show future generations to dream big and work hard to achieve them. Clearly Davis' daughter was inspired by her mother, the same way representation in film, television, music, literature, etc. can inspire others.

AlishaP
Novice Their American
on: April 5, 2016, 23:47

I really like what you guys had to contribute on this issue. Viola Davis is truly an inspiration to all women; she stands up for what she believes in and is not scared to say so. The ambiance in the room after she won was extremely beautiful and supportive – actress Taraji P. Henson (also nominated for being Lead Actress in a Drama Series) was very proud to see a black woman win such a prestigious award.
What she says on stage is extremely accurate – black women need the opportunity to be shown and given roles. This issue just leads to a greater one that was very controversial as well. Many people blasted and boycotted the Oscars this year because of the all-white nominations. When reading an article from The Guardian, I was amazed to learn that only one woman of colour has won as Best Actress and less than 7% of males who win are people of colour. These numbers seem ridiculous to me; how does this even work out? What does a person need to do to be considered worthy of an award?
There is a lack of representation for POC in media in general. Clearly more work needs to be done in the industry to account for people of all colours, sexual orientation or identity.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/18/hollywoods-race-problem-film-industry-actors-of-colour

stephen
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 19:52

I agree that it is all about the fact the there are just no roles for people of colour in Hollywood. It is most troubling for me considering that even after all the backlash that comes from situations like the oscars being white washed, there is then a huge backlash that comes when casting a character that may have been portrayed as white in source material as a person of colour. From comic book adaptions to rumoured actors for James Bond, there is a constant anger from audiences when the colour of skin is changed. Idris Elba for instance is a handsome suave British man who fits the bill to play James Bond, and yet there are people up in arms over only rumours or other fans talking about him becoming Bond. Or in the case of Michael B. Jordan in last years Fantastic Four adaption which had people boycotting it just because his character, Johnny Storm, was no longer a white male.
While companies like Marvel and DC (which are major media power houses at the moment) try to reinvent them selves and introduce Black and Asian variants of characters like Spiderman, Captain America and The Hulk, in hopes to one day branch them to the big screen and not just comics and television, it is still bothersome that it is only ok for people of colour to be considered for an already fictional character just because of skin colour and not their actual skill. However while companies try and create more roles for people of colour to play, there is still a lacking in the creation of female characters that are being created.
While I realize comic/super hero related references are not the most intellectual, it is just a focal point for examples of possible roles being created for people of colour.

Brayaden-
Fantin
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 21:12

Stephen, I disagree that comic and super hero related references are not intellectual references. They are the pinnacle of what Hollywood is based off of today. Think about such major franchises as The Avengers, The Walking Dead, Batman, Superman, etc. All of these movies and television shows bring in millions upon millions of dollars, but what do we have to show for it? Isn't Hollywood sick of the same old, white dudes succeeding on the big screen? Nearly 45% of America's population is made up of POCs and yet our television screens imply otherwise. The issue of mis- and underrepresentation in Hollywood is incredibly huge and, although it has been addressed countless times in the Media (especially after such influential and popular events as The Oscars), the problem has yet to be fixed. The only movies and television shows we see today with POCs in the foreground, it seems, are movies about the mistreatment of African Americans throughout North American history. Hollywood likes to promote representation, but only through stereotypical and mainstream ways that paint people as "black" rather than just people. Never, do we challenge the notion that an African American might play an underprivileged person living on the street or in association with gangs, nor do we question the tired role of the Indian geek who writes computer codes, but can't get girls. We NEVER question these ridiculous stereotypes that Hollywood throws at us, guised as being "diverse." Will we ever see a POC as the lead role in a movie that doesn't solely reflect their race? Of course, movies like this are important because they often teach us and remind of our complicated and destructive history. However, while we are making movies about the effects of racism, which are seemingly made in order to create awareness and destroy racism, can't we also make movies and television shows that encompass these values?

Olivia-
Penney
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 22:38

I agree with the above statements regarding superhero movies and how they represent the "heroes" of society. I also believe that the representation of women, especially women of colour, most definitely needs to be addressed. I will admit to have being very fond of superhero movies, however the lack of representation was something that I found very troubling. The representation of women is also something that I think that the "nerd world" (for lack of a better term) needs to brush up on. I think that if there was more of an acceptance of women in this industry as the stars and heroes of the film and not a sexy, catsuit wearing, piece of ass, that this industry would greatly improve. There are some representations of strong women that I do agree with however, such as the recent Wonder Woman and Agent Peggy Carter, but two out of many is still not enough.

Shahrazad-
A
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 23:07

I would like to shed some light on the lack of roles in Hollywood for other POC as well. There has been a lot of discussion about the lack of roles for African American actors in Hollywood during the #Oscarssowhite campaign and the same can be said for Asian actors in Hollywood as well. I recently heard about a movie that is out in theaters called “The Forest” which is a film that takes place in Japan. This movie is about a very sensitive topic because it is set in Aokigahara Forest which is nicknamed suicide Forest in Japan due to the high number of suicides that take place in the forest every year. The main problem with this movie is that the lead female character is played by a white female. A lot of people are outraged by this because they believe that since the story is taking place in Japan and it is dealing with a sensitive cultural problem, then the main actors should at least fit the setting and issue at hand. I also believe that the main characters in this movie should be played by Japanese actors. It doesn't make sense to me that a story about issues facing Japanese people should be played by a white person.

rizwanzara
Novice Their American
on: April 9, 2016, 03:16

Whitewashing is one of the most infuriating things - and I've noticed that whenever I call out the issue of whitewashing, the people who rush to defend whitewashing are the same people who get angry at the thought of a classic movie remade to feature people of colour. Stephen brought up the backlash at Idris Elba playing James Bond; I also recall the hate that Donald Glover received for wanting to play Spiderman in the new movie. Even though a POC Spiderman does exist - Afro-Latin American, Miles Morales - people still claimed that "a black guy can't play Spiderman." People who are against POC starring in media claim that it's only being done in effort for "political correctness" but in reality... featuring more POC in media is just making media look realistic. Take a look at The Walking Dead - Atlanta is very racially diverse, and yet the vast majority of the zombies are white, and even with the main cast, you can't have more than one black man alive at the same time. Or Bates Motel, taking place in White Pine Bay - which I've nicknamed to White Supremacy Bay - since in the entire first season of the series, only one POC was featured: And she was an Asian sex slave. TV might not be reality but is this what casting directors really want, to create these shows where little to no POC exist? Is that their ideal world?

19th-
Century-
American-
Lit
on: January 11, 2018, 15:50

I think it interesting that lack of representation continues to be so prominent in this day and age. With the increased acceptance of diversity it is easy to believe that this is an issue of the past; unfortunately however, this is far from the case. Following the mention of an "ideal world" I'd like to bring up the Declaration of Independence. America's claim of identity and individuality is also rooted in failure to provide equal representation. Three influential and important groups are blatantly left out of this founding document: Native Americans, African Americans, and Women. In this way, America has come to be founded on "white male" ideals and it seems as though this origin is impossible to shake. The issue however is so vast because this subjugation is written in the foundation of American ideals - the Declaration. Thus, any movement away from this can be seen as "reformation" and, as reformation usually is, inherently up for debate. These attitudes have thus fostered a hierarchy which places Caucasian (males mostly) in positions of power. It is upsetting, angering, and frustrating that this wrong has not yet been made right; and though it seems to be going in the right direction it is unforeseen how long this issue will prevail. America celebrates its identity with a grave lack of recognition toward its ignorant beginnings which still filter into media and society centuries later.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.058 seconds.