American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 18, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: J.K. Rowlings Colonizing of the United States of America TOPIC CLOSED

Christophe-
r Antilope
Novice Their American
J.K. Rowlings Colonizing of the United States of America
on: March 15, 2016, 00:11

In the 20st and 21st centuries, there has often been more talk about the erasure of exclusion and the incorporation of inclusion. Hence, there is a Black History Month, celebrating the lives of those who suffered the atrocities of slavery, for example. A race that once was excluded has been recognized as an important part of history, and moreover civilization. As black lives do matter, it is important to remember that we are all humans of one earth.

Yet, controversy still arises from time to time. However, a recent controversy has been regarding the INCLUSION of a people rather than the exclusion, as the 88th Academy Awards reminded everyone of for nearly every minute of the countless-hour show. J.K. Rowling has been promoting her first screenplay and spinoff film to the Harry Potter film series: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. She has been doing so on her interactive website, Pottermore, whereby people can be put into respective Hogwarts Houses, learn more about their favourite characters and magic, and read new articles written by the author herself.

Her promotion, however, has sparked controversy insofar as she has brought her magic from Europe to North America, where the events of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will take place. Going over the history of Magic in America, as part of her four-part series, History of Magic in North America, Rowling talks of the introduction of wands, the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA), and the Salem Witch Trials. However, the core of the controversy deals with the inclusion of Native Americans, who, by now, have had their story known thanks to the colonists in the founding of the United States.

Today, high schools and universities speak of Indigenous peoples as having their own spiritualties, just as we speak of Canada being a multicultural and multi-faith country, or how different religions have made their way through history over the millennia. While Christians have their resurrecting icon and Muslims have their faceless messenger, Native peoples have their beliefs, which will seem as supernatural to they who see all religions as hokum.

The problem with the inclusion of Native Americans is what seems to be a full circle in history, whereby the colonizing Europeans – J.K. Rowling – put their beliefs and ideologies on the Native peoples.

No one can really put this topic in better words than Katharine Trendacosta, whose analysis of Rowling's History of Magic in North America highlights the seemingly unintentional racism of the text as well as includes a Native American's perspectives on this as well.

In her article, “J.K. Rowling's History of Magic in North America Was a Travesty From Start to Finish,” Trendacosta says:

“Who could have predicted that a white lady from England would have problems with appropriating Native American culture? Oh, wait, that should have been completely obvious to anyone even thinking of doing what J.K. Rowling did. When you’re combining a history of magic with Native Americans, you’re falling into an already prevalent trope of making them “mystical.” And Rowling not only didn’t avoid that trap, she leaned into it:

‘The Native American wizarding community was particularly gifted in animal and plant magic, its potions in particular being of a sophistication beyond much that was known in Europe. The most glaring difference between magic practised by Native Americans and the wizards of Europe was the absence of a wand.

The magic wand originated in Europe. Wands channel magic so as to make its effects both more precise and more powerful, although it is generally held to be a mark of the very greatest witches and wizards that they have also been able to produce wandless magic of a very high quality. As the Native American Animagi and potion-makers demonstrated, wandless magic can attain great complexity, but Charms and Transfiguration are very difficult without one.’

Associating Native Americans with “animal and plant magic”—with, it should be noted, no more detail than that—is leaning so hard on a stereotype it’s hard not to find it offensive. It’s also not great that she says that wands originated in Europe, which reads very much as a Europe being the center of innovation and building in the magic world.

You know, Native Americans and their “Earth magic” while European wizards were the ones smart enough to make wands.

Rowling may say that great things can be done without a wand, but it doesn’t offset the implications—that Native Americans may have raw power, but it’s refinement that only comes from Europe. Implications that she, with her background, was completely blind to.

Later, Rowling also writes that wizards who came to America fleeing the authorities “sought to blend in among the increasing tide of No-Majs, or hide among the Native American wizarding population, who were generally welcoming and protective of their European brethren.” Oh good, the friendly native. There’s another stereotype she should have avoided.

Rowling also included this bit in “Fourteenth Century – Seventeenth Century”:

‘The legend of the Native American ‘skin walker’ – an evil witch or wizard that can transform into an animal at will – has its basis in fact. A legend grew up around the Native American Animagi, that they had sacrificed close family members to gain their powers of transformation. In fact, the majority of Animagi assumed animal forms to escape persecution or to hunt for the tribe. Such derogatory rumours often originated with No-Maj medicine men, who were sometimes faking magical powers themselves, and fearful of exposure.’

I don’t think I can sum up the problems with this portion better than Cherokee scholar Dr. Adrienne Keene, who wrote:

‘What you do need to know is that the belief of these things (beings?) has a deep and powerful place in Navajo understandings of the world. It is connected to many other concepts and many other ceremonial understandings and lifeways. It is not just a scary story, or something to tell kids to get them to behave, it’s much deeper than that. My own community also has shape-shifters, but I’m not delving into that either.

What happens when Rowling pulls this in, is we as Native people are now opened up to a barrage of questions about these beliefs and traditions (take a look at my twitter mentions if you don’t believe me)–but these are not things that need or should be discussed by outsiders. At all. I’m sorry if that seems “unfair,” but that’s how our cultures survive.’

The other piece here is that Rowling is completely re-writing these traditions. Traditions that come from a particular context, place, understanding, and truth. These things are not “misunderstood wizards”. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

It’s appropriative in the worst way. Harry Potter occasionally mentioned monsters from various other cultures as real, which was incidental enough not to be a problem. The History of Magic in North America is all about another group, and the way Rowling writes doesn’t exhibit a deep understanding of her subject. It feels more like she googled “Native American legends” and picked the top result.”

So, taking Trendacosta’s section on History of Magic in North America into account, we cannot really ask whether this was a mistake or not, since it all seems too (im)perfect. The fact of the matter is, she did the thing that was done before that shouldn’t have been done again: hegemonize the culture that has already felt the brunt of hegemony and continues to feel it today. I understand that Rowling tried to include Native Americans into her world, but she, in a sense, said that their spirituality was not “real spirituality” but the effect of magic. That’s like going up to a Christian and saying that “Jesus did not actually resurrect from the dead, but was in a coma the whole time.” The severity of the statement may not match to what occurs in History of Magic in North America, but a sacred idea is being replaced with something not dissimilar to an insult.

The magic of Harry Potter still fills the hearts of the children of today, and the children within the adults who grew up with the stories and films. However, with the additional stories that have not been received well both due to quantity, quality, and content, we see the proverbial “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” lesson come to light.

Alexandra-
Lynn
Novice Their American
Re: J.K. Rowlings Colonizing of the United States of America
on: March 15, 2016, 20:02

I understand why the treatment of Indigenous people in Rowling's new spin off has sparked controversy and criticism. It poses a threat to a battle that has been long, hard and not nearly close to being finished. That being said, I do believe that her intentions were not malicious.

Throughout the famous series, Rowling has made reference to a variety of histories, legends, myths and past cultures (keep in mind I list the above not as synonyms, but as holding their own specific definitions). From the names of her beloved characters to events, or spells, Rowling has incorporated inspiration from the past into her Wizarding World. As the series expanded and Harry Potter captured the hearts of children all over the world, questions started to arise about Harry's world moving beyond the boarders of Europe. I see this spin off as an attempt to intertwine the magic of Harry Potter into the histories of people outside Britain. I do not believe that Rowling intended to recreate the hegemony of European colonizers, but tried to allow her Wizarding World into the world of her readers.

To me, this was an attempt at inclusion. This was not Rowling reinforcing prejudice, but her stating that everyone, of all nationalities, race, and cultures, are welcome in the world of Harry Potter. The theme of representation has been one that is becoming more and more apparent to our society. Who are the people winning Oscars? Who are the prevalent people seen in popular culture? Do people of colour have a strong voice? Do people who belong to the LQBTQ+ community have a voice? Are we perpetuating stereotypes?

I think that these issues must be solved one step at a time. Right now we are working on giving the marginalized a voice through presentation. Next comes the dissolving of stereotypes. These are huge goals that do not get completed over night. Rowling has a huge influence over many young people but she is only human. Her attempt at being inclusive has warranted criticism, understandably so, but perhaps we should give her credit for thinking to include a group of people that have been dramatically left out of the loop for so many years.

Dgranger
Novice Their American
Re: J.K. Rowlings Colonizing of the United States of America
on: March 17, 2016, 19:02

I read all 4 of JK Rowling's mini-stories about "A History of Magic in North America," and I agree with Alexandra-Lynn that Rowling put Native Americans into her story as an attempt at inclusion. I agree that some of the details she's written about Native Americans are problematic, however, I see it as natural that she would want to include all parts of the globe into the wizarding world she's created. For example, in her books she's already talked about magical schools in France and Bulgaria, and personally I was excited that she was bringing North America into the picture as well. However, I think there's an important question that everyone has to consider: if she wrote about magic in North America, where she ignored completely the presence of Native Americans in North America's history, wouldn't this potentially have been more controversial and problematic? What if Rowling said instead that European witches and wizards came to North America, where the land was already "empty" of any other human presence (an assumption which has been made many times in the past)? OR what if she said that European (or white) witches and wizards were already in North America, where no migration had taken place at all? Wouldn't either of these 2 alternatives be even more of an issue, since this would constitute an outright and purposeful erasure of Native Americans? In my opinion, Rowling acknowledged that white people did immigrate to North America from Europe, which helps to counter the belief that Caucasians were the first peoples of North America. Despite the knowledge and literature that exists today, many people in Canada and America who are descended from white settlers refuse to acknowledge that they too are the children of immigrants. Therefore, I'm glad Rowling brought attention to the fact that Native Americans were really the first people to live in North America.

Something else I would like to draw attention to is what was said above about Native American's animal and plant magic, versus European wand magic. Rowling did say in her stories that Native American witches and wizards had "animal and plant magic, its potions in particular being of a sophistication beyond much that was known in Europe." In my opinion, I don't agree with how it was said that the Native Americans were depicted as somehow being less advanced than their European counterparts. It may be stereotypical on Rowling's part to associate Native Americans with animals and plants, but she also outlines that their knowledge on these subjects was much more advanced. I don't think wands allude to making Europe "the center of innovation" as it was said above, but rather the 2 populations (in Rowling's world) are knowledgeable about different things, making both the groups innovative (not simply the Europeans). I also politely disagree with Christopher Antilope's comment that Rowling was suggesting "refinement only comes from Europe"; in her novels Rowling has written that European witches and wizards also used potions, but if Native American witches and wizards had high-caliber potions that weren't seen in Europe, isn't this still a form of refinement and innovation that Native American witches and wizards had? I may sound like a Harry Potter fan theorist who thinks about Rowling's world too much, but based on the point I just made, I don't believe Rowling was suggesting that European witches and wizards (and by extension Europeans themselves) are more skilled that Native Americans.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.03 seconds.