American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 24, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: A Readers Lament Turned Critique

melissafio-
relli
Novice Their American
A Readers Lament Turned Critique
on: October 31, 2015, 18:30

I must admit, this is not my first encounter with Fitzgerald's classic novel "The Great Gatsby," and it will certainly not be the last. So you can imagine my frustration, after watching the cinematic adaption of this infamous novel and it's inconsistencies. This past week, en route to our 20th Century American Literature class, my friend and I began a heated discussion involving the cinematic adaptation of the novel. It has been some time since I've watched the movie, and I admit my memory is somewhat foggy. However, I was lamenting to her how, from my memory, I felt the movie inaccurately represented the book.

It wasn't until embarking on a critical analysis of the novel in class that I discovered from where my frustration stemmed. Dr. Hamilton explained that teachers and even reader's themselves, often gloss over the apparent gender, racist and capitalist themes that make this novel expand far beyond the genre of a classic American love story. At the core of our critique was the concept of racism. Essentially, we discussed how the novel seems to "white- wash" just about everything that is not considered "white." Dr. Hamilton discussed how jazz, a culture very prevalent during this time, and of the origins of African Americans, seems too, to be white washed in this novel. Ironically, earlier that day I was lamenting to my friend that at the core of my frustration was the cinematic adaptation's use of music. I found it intriguing that they used a modern soundtrack, but stayed true to the 1920's setting. Despite this, I felt their attempt to mix eras just completely failed to create the ambiance that I feel is central to the novel.

This lecture motivated me to do some research. I've attached a link to the soundtrack below. Looking at it, it's apparent that though it does feature black artists, the amount of white artists is staggering in comparison. I was shocked that even in an era much more advanced than Fitzgerald's, African artists are still a minority. What I found most intriguing is the second song titled, "Back to Black." Though I don't believe it was done intentionally, I can't help but find it rather ironic that in a novel with the tendency to "white wash" culture, and a cinematic production who followed similarly, such a song is a stark reminder of how little America has progressed.

My intention was not to belittle the cinematic production of this novel. Though I stand by my distaste for their use of new wave music paired with an old world setting, I was hoping to commend them for their racial progress. Instead, I found that the very few jazz songs on the soundtrack, "Love is the Drug" and "Where the Wind Blows" were again sung by predominantly white artists. And so, what originally was nothing more than a reader's lament on my part, ended up manifesting into a critique of America's racial progression. Perhaps, the more America changes, the more things seem to stay the same!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/great-gatsby-music-from-baz/id635515681

Zack_Piazz-
a
Re: A Readers Lament Turned Critique
on: November 13, 2015, 20:35

For curiosity's sake, I picked up the most recent movie and gave it a run-through after hearing from everybody I talked to that it had done the book a great injustice. So I entered the movie with expectations of having Fitzgerald's text absolutely butchered, and I was pleasantly surprised that the movie turned out as a much more truthful translation than I had been led to assume.

While I understand where the critiques from the movie come from, to an extent, I really believe this was a faithful adaptation to the book on some levels, but not all of them. When a movie studio goes about making a Great Gatsby movie, they set out to make a movie about extravagance, money, desire, unfulfilled longing. They did all of these things. What they did not capture was the subtle, ever so important intricacies of the novel: the racist undertones, the characterization of Wolfsheim, Nick's attraction to Jordan, the subtle hints at Nick's homosexuality. I think it would be difficult and rather clumsy to try and include all of these things without making a movie of tremendous length, and so instead, they picked a few of the obvious ideas and poured their effort into those.

The Great Gatsby movie was about modern, overly extravagant living. To capture this as much as they could, they tried to make the look and the sound reminiscent of 1920s jazz era, but mix it with as much of a modern party vibe as they could. The effect I got from this, not just in the music but in the visuals as well, was a sense of over saturation to the point of nausea. It felt numbing, almost dizzying to watch those grandiose party scenes, and in that I feel they've nailed the book perfectly. You're supposed to enjoy yourself during those scenes, but there is so much going on all at once, it's hard to take in.

And perhaps there is an irony about the extravagance of the party scenes as well. We discussed in class that Fitzgerald himself may have had this intention. There is such an indulgence in the glamour of the book/movie that it draws away attention from the important issues going on in the background (as you pointed out with the music, for example). It is a spectacle that draws people in, but it is a hollow entertainment that is only a distraction from what really matters, from what you really want from life, or what Gatsby really wants.

I think it is unreasonable for a movie to include absolutely everything the book has to offer, and for a novel like The Great Gatsby, the movies are only a supplement to the novel and not a replacement. Those who watch the movie and do not read the book know they have probably missed something important, and that they cannot replace reading the book with their experience of the movie. I do appreciate the movies attempt to capture as much of Fitzgerald's original imagery in the movie, with direct descriptions of things ripped straight from the book like Gatsby's smile, the ash highway, Nick's birthday, and of course, the light at the end of the dock. But these are superficial, like the movie, and do not go deeper than the surface level of beauty in the novel. The scene where the African American wealthy drive beside Gatsby and Nick is included, but merely nods at that depth that the novel has to give.

You do have a point though. Throughout the movie, the biggest thing that irked me was the idea that, since we could see Gatsby, we could not do a reading of the movie with Gatsby as a black character, as we could with the novel. Just this fact makes the movie seem much less malleable than the book, and thus inferior in my eyes. Even if one could critically analyze the movie as one does with the book, this detail is a significant difference that can't be overlooked, because it forever limits the way the movie can be read, making it a less interesting work to study, as it merely mimics the book's content, not adding to the deep discussion the book has already produced. I would like to see a version of this movie that isn't as whitewashed, and actually presents Gatsby as black and passing as wealthy in higher society. It would be a much more interesting version of the movie.

superfly
Experienced Their American
on: December 6, 2015, 13:20

I can confidently and disappointingly say that I have never watched a movie that was as good as the book! I say this with a passion that waits fervently for the day when the cinematic production of a narrative will do justice to the literature. The imagination of the human mind is so vast and endless, like a tree who's branches have endless opportunities for growth. While on the other hand, cinema has time limitations, cast inconsistencies, and finally, moods to adapt to the current time period to keep the audience engaged. Personally, I am not a fan of jazz; hence, the mashups with current music and old school in the movie did not bother me (sorry!). However, I do understand that there is a problem with casting a white-dominated band. As limited as my knowledge is, I know that jazz is an African American dominated and originated genre of music. Hence, I understand why that failure is something not easy to overlook.

Brian-
Emmerson
Experienced Their American
on: December 6, 2015, 18:24

I have seen Baz Luhrmann's recent adaptation of the novel, and I am from the camp that agrees that it did a decent job adapting the text to the screen. However, I am also quite critical of the choice of music used in the film's soundtrack. It was something my cousin warned me about and I was aware of prior, but while the music holds up on its own, it is quite jarring in its implementation in the film. I agree that it was a questionable choice to have such a modern soundtrack partnered with a film that had a great opportunity to portray the setting it takes place. While visually, the film was quite impressive and delivered in some sensational scenes, I felt taken out with musical genres that did not reflect the 1920's, but rather had genres that came after that time period. I felt it almost cheapens the experience, as if the music was put in to associate modern audiences with an older time by appealing to modern tastes, yet takes away from the legitimate presentation (even though, of course, this is supposed to be a simulacrum) of the 1920's. It was a strange creative decision, and I would have expected at least modernized recordings of music from the time as opposed to modern music slapped onto the product. It becomes less a representation of 1920's America and more of a retrospective piece with modern facets applied to it.

I think it may be worth considering that Jay-Z, an African-American artist, was quite involved in the production of music for the film. While there may be a question of the lack representation of African-American artists, it may also be interesting to note that there is an artist who had a hand in calling the shots. I also question whether we can adequately assess representation in the soundtrack when the soundtrack is more identifiable with modern music than the 1920's. I'm quite confused as to what the goal of this soundtrack was.

OliBedard
Novice Their American
on: December 7, 2015, 16:12

I too felt that Baz Luhrmann's adaptation was lackluster, despite its literal brilliance (it was full of shining lights). I felt that it mostly glossed over the nuances of the novel and, sampling certain scenes again this past semester after we discussed it in class (I saw it in theatres when it came out), I felt affirmed in my prior conclusion that it was too much invested in its superficial romantic narrative. The soundtrack album, produced by Jay-Z, does feature a slight majority of white artists, but what really reinforces that criticism of erasure, in my mind, is that Luhrmann sought out the Bryan Ferry Orchestra for the jazz numbers featured in the film and on the soundtrack. The Bryan Ferry Orchestra, led by a white man and comprised almost entirely of white men, fits in with Fitzgerald’s own choices for Jazz representation in the novel. Of course historically there were many white Jazz bands, some of them great, but it is absolutely true that all the greatest jazz musicians, (think of Louis Armstrong, Bessie Smith, Sidney Bechet, Jelly Roll Morton, Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Thelonious Monk, Dinah Washington, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Lester Young, Wynton Kelly, Charles Mingus, Coleman Hawkins, Dizzy Gillespie, Sarah Vaughan, Nat King Cole, Ethel Waters, the list goes on and on…), all the hardcore inventors and innovators of jazz music (in all its many movements, waves, and sub-genres) were black. And many of them were very political. What I found most frustrating about Jay-Z’s curated list of anachronistic popular musicians was how flat and lifeless their music for the film was, and the Bryan Ferry Orchestra, while pleasantly nostalgic, was really a snore. But I’m a hardcore jazz lover and I’m used to listening to really complicated, robust music. For me, the music and the adaptation itself were sorely lacking.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.028 seconds.