American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 21, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Social Media from an Emersonian Perspective

Olivia-
Penney
Novice Their American
Social Media from an Emersonian Perspective
on: October 21, 2015, 20:53

It cannot be denied that social media plays an integral role in contemporary North American society. It is difficult to find people on public transit not engrossed in some sort of device, and children as early as five years old have more skill with technology than many adults do. The culture of social media is inescapable and pervasive. It not only serves to disseminate the values and lifestyle of "important" individuals, such as the Kardashians, but it also serves to inform society of what the ideal "self" is. Identities are created on social media, from popular beauty trends, new colloquialisms and even what music or art is worth attention. Social media informs people of who they should be, how they should look, and how they should present themselves to the world. I can only imagine that Emerson is rolling around in his grave (but don't go and check!) at the fact that society has become so reliant on other people and popular culture to define their own "self". His work, Self Reliance, extols the virtue of not conforming to popular opinion and looking inward to discover one's "self" Social Media has created a culture of passive and compliant acceptance of social norms, something that Emerson warns against. I imagine if he were alive today, he would not be tweeting, on vine or obsessing over new snapchat filters, but would instead suggest a complete departure from social media, something that would be very difficult in today's society, in order to look inward and actively search for the true "self" and to become self reliant.

Kaylea-
Kray-
Domingo
Re: Social Media from an Emersonian Perspective
on: December 8, 2015, 00:28

The conception of the self has definitely evolved since the birth of social media - and everything that Olivia has said above I completely agree with. One particular branch of social media is quite interesting when it comes to the self - the making of the profile. Almost every social media outlet has you create a page or a space for you to define yourself for others to see; you have complete control over the background, of the photos posted, a short paragraph to describe yourself in words. This way we are able to shape what we want others to see: the adventurous backpacker, the quiet bookworm, the party-goer. However people can't be segregated into sections for everyone has multiple aspects to themselves, and social media allows you to cut out some parts and embellish others. You can also lie on your social media profile and none would be the wiser except you. This representation of the self can be dangerous, for people can get caught up in social media and not recognize the difference between reality and social media. Social media is extremely influential when it comes to the self, and its important to remember that everything that is posted isn't necessarily a picture of the entire truth.

Amanda-
Bourikas
Novice Their American
on: March 30, 2016, 22:35

I agree with the both of the statements above by Olivia and Kaylea. I believe with social media and its representation of the "self", it is easier to find other people with similar interests as yourself. Finding people with those similar interests means you "follow" them and they "follow" you back, and apparently more "followers" is equal to being well-liked, popular, and..."twitter/instagram/tumblr/etc. famous". In terms of representation of the "self", when people follow each other due to similar interests, does this mean they are following an alternate representation of themselves? Does it mean social media makes the "self" more self absorbed and fame hungry? With social media there is too much of a focus of being accepted into something that is superficial (i.e. retweets, likes, views, etc.) that will eventually fade away like myspace.

jennynicol-
le
Novice Their American
on: March 31, 2016, 13:57

With the evolution of social media, it has impacted the lives of many people around the world on defining what they should be doing and how they should be living. The idea of "self" in my opinion has raised a lot of issues with the imprint social media has made on modern society. People need approval or reassurance from others to accept their own decision. And I think that this has affected the younger generations especially. People share their intimacy with the world and this hinders the progression of themselves as an individual and building their own identity and characteristics. Thus, people conduct themselves in a way of how others think they should and not how they think genuinely be. I agree with the points made by Olivia Penny, how social media is inescapable and pervasive, making you chase a fallacy of reality and losing yourself to social pressure.

icedcoffee
Novice Their American
on: April 7, 2016, 22:54

Although I agree about the extent in which social media influences society, Emerson's concept of "self-reliance" is questionable at times; it is definitely not a perfect philosophy. Ralph Emerson's idea of the how one should be basically uninfluenced by the world around them is really a nearly impossible feat. From the moment we are born, we are prone to the teachings and ideas of others and how the world works. His emphasis on individualism is one that can become greatly detrimental to society as it calls for every person to look inside themselves and come to conclusions based on their own beliefs and not consider the thoughts of others. If it were not for sharing opinions, trends, or discoveries and incorporating them to our lives, it would be unlikely for civilization to have come this far. Naturally, people are not meant to live in isolation but instead should be together and interact with each other in order to open our minds to new and different possibilities.
In regards to social media, we can clearly observe the spread of trends across the globe whether it be fashion, activism, or creative projects. Platforms like twitter and instagram were created to give people different forms of expression through summarized thoughts or documenting photos. If people have truly learned self-reliance, they will take the material of what they see over their timelines and incorporate it to their styles of expression in a way that better reflects them rather than being carbon copies of what they like to see. We cannot blame social media for supposedly imposing the "ideal self" and can only blame ourselves for succumbing to pressure of popularity. There has to be balance between the two because no individual will survive entirely on his own and no individual can survive by riding on the backs of others.
Social media can be extremely influential but it should not be seen as the culprit behind the loss of individuality. If individuality is such an important characteristic as people make it out to be then they should work harder on becoming happy with their unique qualities. A certain level of individuality is required but probably not to the extent of the Emersonian ideology.

Reza
Novice Their American
on: January 28, 2018, 17:02

My response here is to say that social media has now become a norm in society that continuously dictates the way we live our lives, that chooses our path. It's purpose has been overused and focuses largely on the what is unimportant. This brings me to the idea around the "self" which has caused a lot of issues within our society. We have become so dependent and constantly seek distraction and approval. I personally believe that this has had an impact more so on the younger generation as opposed to the elder. This idea of self reliance is gradually disappearing. We are slowly losing our independence and ability to sustain ourselves in all aspects. Olivia Penny in her article demonstrates how social media is dragging people away from the ability to live autonomously. This is explored in Waldo Emerson, where emphasis is put on Americans to transcend society's presumptions and create a personal, progressive relationship with spirituality and nature.

Reza
Novice Their American
on: January 28, 2018, 17:42

Post 1: Response to Social Media from an Emersonian Perspective:
I feel as though that in our modern society, social media plays a large part in the way we live our lives. The idea of “self” seems to no longer be an integral part of living. In other words, we are beginning to rely more on technology rather than on ourselves. Social media has impacted the lives of many around the world regarding the way life should be lived. The "self" is no longer a quality that many will have, we are no longer self reliant because of the way technology simplifies our lives. The pace at which our brains are growing retains very little of how autonomy. Our evolution is being corrupted with the existence of social media and other technologies. When going to back to the notion of “self” and to use authors such as Emerson to say that we will no longer be able to transcend society's presumptions and create a personal, progressive relationship with spirituality and nature.

TronaldDum-
p
on: January 29, 2018, 22:18

I'm more inclined to agree with the suggestions put forth by icedcoffee here, in that Emerson's philosophy isn't exactly perfect and that social media isn't entirely the culprit for contemporary society's loss of individualism. Although yes I do believe that social media can and does often clutter one's sense of self, I do also believe that so much "exposure" to a variety of different people/art/music (etc.) at such a rapid rate can be fertile grounds to concoct a better understanding of yourself simply from the sheer quantity of interactions which one can endure (often via their cellphones none the less) in 2018. If social media is the end of the scale which purportedly rids people of their own true identity and authentic self, then what lies on the other end of said scale? Is someone who has little to no social contact ever with the outside world the perfect example of an authentic being? I believe it is only possible to understand your very sense of self through framing it against other people who are presently involved in the same endeavor, and picking apart what you admire and detest about them. Emersonian quips such as the ubiquitous "imitation is suicide" to me seem exaggerated and unrealistic; everything at this point is an imitation in some way, however miniscule. Almost all artistic/scientific/whatever breakthroughs come on the heels of understanding what came before it. Imitation is a crucial first step in learning what has come before us and what we have to work with, and I think the way in which social media can disseminate so much information so rapidly can reap significant benefits in this regard. Social media has the potential to slow down time by allowing us to displace ourselves from the present and obtain an altered perspective on what is happening in an ever chaotic world at a microlevel- I think that this is a valuable privilege that thinkers like Emerson would likely obsess over.

heythereal-
e
on: March 15, 2018, 13:55

This is an incredibly interesting idea! Social media and more specifically, the millennial dependence on social media would definitely be contrary to Emerson’s belief of self-reliance, but I think we are missing the aspect of artistry here. Sure, there are tens of thousands of global ‘influencers’ who are spreading their love for hair care gummy bears because they are paid for it, but social media has also allowed more wholesome artists to share their works online and reach a larger audience. Granted, the concept of instagram itself, or the liking and the favouriting of other social network systems does encourage a sense of reliance on that interaction from others and therefore the system is faulted in Emerson’s perspective from the beginning. It’s really interesting to think about! I wonder what a modernized Emerson would be like.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.125 seconds.