American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 19, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Canada vs America

Ashley-
Wilson
Novice Their American
Canada vs America
on: November 26, 2014, 19:10

I came across this article about Canada and it gives 99 reasons why it is better than America. It touches on topics like science, technology, movies and television shows, crime and even money and your job. Somethings said in it is really bias (I assume its written by a Canadian) but anyways, I figured this could spark up some controversy on whether or not half these things are true or can even be considered true. Some seem real odd to me haha.
Here's the article 🙂
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/99-reasons-why-its-better-to-be-canadian/

simpson
Novice Their American
Re: Canada vs America
on: November 26, 2014, 21:08

Gonna tackle a couple of these that mostly have to do with sports and entertainment:

"Our festivals rule: TIFF is by far North America’s most important film festival, and the world’s second-biggest after Cannes."

Over the last few years TIFF just kinda became the unofficial kickoff for awards season, a place where that year's prestige pictures make their widest debut. It also became an excuse for movie stars to come up and get drunk in Canada for a week. No one is discovering movies here though, like Sundance in its heyday, and its status as the awards season's kickoff is in dispute. The Telluride Film Festival now trumps it by a week and features most of the year's big pictures that previously debuted in Toronto. Without a clear identity — you could always pick out "a Sundance movie" — TIFF's status rests entirely on debuting the year's biggest movies on a big stage with big audiences. Now with Telluride nipping at its heels, TIFF is left simply with the big stage and big audiences. Why will celebrities keep coming to Toronto if they have to hobnob with a bunch of normals at the festival's overcrowded parties when they could skip to Telluride the week before and at least hit the slopes in privacy?

To borrow a borrowed line from an old Sundance movie, TIFF is dangerously close to becoming too crowded. No one will go there anymore.

"We dominate hockey: Stanley Cups aside, hockey is still Canada’s game. While the percentage of Canadians playing in the NHL has declined since the 1980s, Canadians still make up more than 50 per cent of all players in the league, compared to Americans, who account for just one-quarter of players."

And yet the league can't survive in Canada alone. Yes, there should probably be a second team in Toronto, and one in Quebec City too. But that still leaves the majority of teams in the US, with likely expansions to balance out divisions in Seattle and Las Vegas. There is no league in which all those Canadians make their living without American money.

"Better football: Since the late 1970s, the National Football League has been tweaking its rules to encourage more passing—that is, to make the U.S. game more exciting. Up here, we got it right the first time: a three-down game on a great, big field. So on second and 10, you can bet that ball will be in the air."

Nope. American football players make a living playing their sport. Canadian football players work at Home Hardware.

(Also, you know, the game is significantly better. Those passing rules were tweaked because defenses are stiffer and more talented in the NFL and the field is like, half the size. I can throw a touchdown pass in the CFL.)

"We’re more popular: Backpackers knew it for years, but studies confirm the Maple Leaf really is beloved around the world. In 2012, the Canada brand held top spot in the Reputation Institute’s ranking of countries based on people’s trust, admiration and affinity for them. America’s reputation rank: 23rd."

A debunked myth.

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
on: November 26, 2014, 23:37

"We’re more popular: Backpackers knew it for years, but studies confirm the Maple Leaf really is beloved around the world. In 2012, the Canada brand held top spot in the Reputation Institute’s ranking of countries based on people’s trust, admiration and affinity for them. America’s reputation rank: 23rd."
A debunked myth.

Say it ain't so!

connorwhea-
ton
on: November 27, 2014, 00:06

I think the simple fact that Canada supplies the U.S with their maple syrup is reason enough to prove why Canada is better than the States.

krstevenso-
n
Novice Their American
on: November 27, 2014, 23:04

I think this Maclean's article is fairly interesting. As a dual citizen of both the USA and Canada, and living half my life (10 years in the US and 10 years in Canada) in each country, some of these points have been made in favour of either country at one point or another.

When comparing the USA and Canada, I think it's important to keep in mind how much Canada is involved in America's culture. For example, a good majority of the television we watch is American, as well as the music we listen to. Not to discredit the talent of Canadian entertainers, or the success of the Canadian entertainment business itself, but generally Canadian's will watch American shows and listen to American artists / musicians.

Another example is how much Canada prides itself on being a "peacekeeping nation". In the article, the author writes: "64. We’re more peaceful: This year, Canada was ranked the eighth most peaceful country in the world. The U.S is ranked 100th." This gives the false impression that Canada is a peaceful nation that is all-welcoming and harmonious. However, we must keep in mind that this rhetoric is false. Canada works extremely hard to maintain their "peacekeeper" identity, and by doing this, they inevitably make themselves look "better" than the US at first glance. When you delve deeper into the policies that dominate the country, as well as the Canadian government, it becomes evident that Canada is quite the opposite of a peacekeeping nation. Canada is a country built upon racist and colonialist values; we are a white-settler nation. There is no way around this fact, and sadly a grand majority of the Canadian population is either unaware, or simply unwilling to admit to this fact.

trmccuaig
on: December 4, 2014, 11:29

I think it's very easy to make comparisons like this because in many ways we have better things like healthcare and one of the only cultural identities we have is being nice and saying eh. Which are all great things, but this country definitely has it's negative side. Every year we get closer to losing the idea of a peacekeeping nation entirely. In addition going off of krstevenson's point, we still harbour a log of racism as a country towards aboriginal citizens. The U.S. is going through it's fair share of human rights crisis' right now but last month our country was also essentially called out by the U.N. saying, indicating that we are facing a crisis on Aboriginal reserves. Many of us live in the wonderful conditions listed by that macleans article, but this doesn't extend to all Canadians, especially the people whose land we stole. Then proceeded to hid them in corners of the country without giving them proper living conditions. These article continues to outline only some of the devastating and frankly embarrassing ways the Harper government and Canadian history have allowed us to get this bad.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-faces-a-crisis-on-aboriginal-reserves-un-investigator-1.1497612

Marisa N
on: December 4, 2014, 19:45

I can see Canadian identities that I think they are true based on my experience through this article. First of all, the healthcare system is publicly owned. The Canadian government provides mostly free medical treatment in contrast to private medical care which costs a lot in the U.S.
Second, Canadians are apologetic. The Japanese are also apologetic, but even I as a Japanese feel Canadians apologize so many times especially when they nearly step in someone on the street while the Japanese would not say anything or bow a little bit.

However, I was a bit surprised that Canadians drink less than Americans since I thought drinking culture is stronger than that in the U.S. University students drink a lot. And when I went out to have lunch with my teachers of ESL school, each of them got a glass of beer even though they had next class after that. They drink alcohol just like water. In the U.S., drinking alcohol is allowed over 21 years old. I heard alcohol is cheaper in the US, though.

Kathleen-
Fox
Novice Their American
on: December 4, 2014, 22:34

Just as Taylor mentions, the way in which Canada’s peacekeeping narrative has become a popular project for deconstruction speaks volumes about Canada’s bygone (or delusional) national superiority. Again, as mentioned, any critical analysis into Canada’s contemporary racial circumstances (and the relations that race, gender and class identities have with political structures like regionalism, immigration, colonialism, globalization, etc) leads to a more productive understanding of the nation’s most sincere systemic issues.

However, if we consider Canada’s (AND America’s) contemporary involvement with Middle Eastern warfare, I think that the "America versus Canada debate" is awaiting international insight. More specifically, because of 9/11’s influences on Western ideology, the relationship developed between these nations and their foreign policy says much more about their political similarities than most of Maclean’s insights put together.

acormier2
Novice Their American
on: December 5, 2014, 11:19

Some of these points really seem to be grasping at straws in an attempt to prove a point. For example, #20 saying that there are fewer winter-related deaths in Canada. To me, that just seems logical; if we're going with the stereotype that Canada is always super cold (really though, just like in the U.S., it varies depending on region), it would mean that we're more accustomed to the winter climate and know how to get through it. And I don't know how I feel about #92 in the "superior national animal" debate.

As a Canadian born and raised, the whole "Canada vs. America" trend has always been a little baffling to me because, when you look at it, we're really not all that different. As was previously mentioned, pop culture and everyday life don't differ very much between the two countries; we listen to a lot of the same music, watch many of the same music, share clothing trends, etc. And although Canada does seem to have more laws that protect the right of homosexuals, for example, this country still has its faults. Blatant racism, sexism, transphobia, and other "phobias" and "isms" on individual and institutional levels still exist in Canada.

I think that, as a whole, we should be focusing less on which country is better and more on how we can work to resolve the issues in each country.

MelissaRos-
ati
Novice Their American
on: October 28, 2015, 22:56

Living the entirety of my 20 years in Canada probably makes me a little biased towards categorizing Canada as the better country, but there were some remarks about sex and sexual orientation that kind of struck me as odd. Number 14 which says that Canadians have more sex than Americans and number 17 which states that Canadians are more open to accepting homosexuality than Americans is hardly grounds to deem one country better than another, especially considering that in both countries it is almost taboo to speak freely of one's sex life. Over the past couple of weeks in my university English class, we've been discussing novels and prose that have underlying sexual themes to them. Unfortunately, even entering the age of adulthood, phallic or yonic symbols still generate murmurs and snickers among classmates. If any country is going to be categorized as more accepting of sex, whether that be heterosexual or homosexual, I believe individuals should be able to openly discuss such topics without the fear of being gawked at; not being able to discuss sexual desires and/or pleasures is the equivalent, if not a worse outcome than not accepting them. If Canadians are so accepting of homosexuality and pro-LGBT community, then why is it that when two men or two women are seen interacting in a similar fashion as a man and woman, they become a sort of spectacle? No matter the country, Canada or America, doing or being anything out of the ordinary sparks conversation; boys who are artistic instead of athletically driven are considered "not manly", girls who dress in non-conventional "female outfits" are less feminine than girls who flaunt dresses and high heels. Much like the previous post stated, we should not be having a debate over which country is better because at the end of the day there are issues in both places that need to be resolved before fingers are pointed and first place is handed out. The government may have passed legislation that advocates for gay rights such as same sex marriage, but that does not automatically mean Canadian communities have adopted the same outlook. America is simply placed under the microscope because of its visibility through individual states not passing similar legislation that grants rights to the LGBT community; and there is another discussion all in itself. If Canadians are so accepting of everyone no matter race, gender, or sexual orientation, why is it that there needs to be a separate label to recognize these individuals?

At the end of the day, Canada and America still have a long way to go before either can come close to claiming they are better than the other and frankly, I don't believe either ever will be able to. There is always room for improvement and just like individual people, no country is perfect. I think the entirety of the Maclean's article, although factually based with the use of statistics and nation-wide rankings, is the opinion of one individual who took the time to create such a thing; if there were an American equivalent, I am sure the statistics would sway in favour of the American populace or the claims made would be rooted in American culture that is recognized on a worldly scale as "better in America".

melissafio-
relli
Novice Their American
on: November 7, 2015, 18:02

I am Canadian born and like any Canadian, proud of my nation. Naturally, I was immediately drawn to this article. However, I am less than halfway through this article, and I can't help but feel overcome with some displeasure in both myself and Canadians all together. Yes, it may be true that these points appear both accurate and statistically correct and, I can't deny that I too believe Canada is superior to our neighbouring country, however, something in reading this obnoxiously long list has sparked some disappointment within me.

When I think of Canada, I think of a nation who is modest. Maybe that stems from #3 on this list, our constant desire to apologize. We are a nation who, from my own experience, is more often than not, always willing to help out each other, be it stranger or friend. Though I may be biased in my opinion, I can say with certainty that even friends and family who live overseas seem to notice the same thing when they visit. With that being said, it's shocking to me that a fellow Canadian felt it necessary to list off what makes our nation superior to that of our neighbour.

Instantly the concept of Orientalism emerges in my mind. I remember in my second year literary theory course we analyzed Edward Said's famous theory on Orientalism. Essentially it's this idea that the West uses the East to construct themselves as superior in comparison. Though America and Canada don't fit into these categories, at the core of this article is a similar function. It's alarming to me that even in 2013 (when this article was written), we are still barbaric enough to feel it necessary to position ourselves as "superior" to another nation. I use this word "barbaric," because it is truly that. A nation that is not fully developed, a nation that is primitive, is a nation that feels insecure enough to use another nation to justify itself!

I realize this may come off as rather aggressive, but I assure you that my intentions are nothing but good. Both America and Canada, are far from nations that need to justify their superiority, something I believe much of the world can agree with. With that being said, I believe this is from where my disappointment stems. The fact alone that Canada and America can be compared in 99 ways, proves how advanced both these nations are. Moreover, it proves how truly amazing these nations are.

I cannot help but think of Tom Buchanan, the infamous prejudice character in The Great Gatsby when engaging with this article. Perhaps its simply because what has brought me to this website is my 20th Century American Literature Class, and I can't help but relate posts to the novels we are reading in class. For those of you who are not fellow English students, I beg your pardon for this digression. However, for those of you who have read The Great Gatsby, you will agree that Tom fully embodies this concept of Orientalism, except at a personal level. Through out the entire novel, Tom uses racial slurs and comments to position his wealth and himself as superior to everyone else. Naturally, the reader grows a feeling of distaste for Tom. Despite his attempt to allude to books and facts, that may appear to be accurate, he comes off as idiotic and naive. Ironically, I cannot help but recognize the similarities between Tom and this article.

If nothing more, I hope that from my little rant the idea that remains is the idea that, no matter how statistically correct or how factual you may be, if at the heart of your argument is a statement that serves nothing more than to produce superiority, then your argument will always be rendered irrelevant. At the end of the day, both Canada and America are two very similar nations which should be celebrating our dynamics rather than pitting each other against one another.

MonikaPecz-
ko
Novice Their American
on: November 7, 2015, 20:54

I would like to address #64 on this list.

"We’re more peaceful: This year, Canada was ranked the eighth most peaceful country in the world. The U.S is ranked 100th."

This is a stereotype that is perpetuated across the world, and it is difficult to ignore. The idea of Canada as a wholly peaceful, tolerant, and welcoming country is entirely absurd. It is true, that in many aspects, Canada is justifiably among the higher end of the peaceful nations. However, our history paints a very dark picture, particularly in light of the government's treatment of the First Nations peoples. I had the opportunity to explore this topic, especially in regards to the 20th century, and it is appalling to say the least.What is also disturbing, is how greatly this history is misunderstood and denied. It is only in the extremely recent past that a full understanding of the horrors that occurred in the residential schools has been possible. An article dated November 3, 2015 attests to this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/residential-school-documents-to-be-publicly-available-for-first-time/article27075555/

First Nations children were forced into government "regulated" institutions where they were taught to neglect their own cultures, were punished for speaking in their own languages, and were brutally abused. Only now, in 2-15, is the full scope of these events and the records are made available to the public. These schools began in 1883, and only know is the Canadian population allowed to understand. Of course, much has been made known across the years, but only in this past year is the factual evidence presented to us. Personally, I was never taught this side of Canadian history, not until my fourth year of university, where it was only briefly mentioned and available as a research topic. Instead, as children, we are taught the highly modified and "Americanized" version. The settlers came in peace and shared a bountiful meal. Throughout the years, scattered comments about wars and unpleasantness among Canadians and First Nations is taught, but the full and tragic history has seemingly never been taught. If anyone was actually taught about these events, please feel free to let me know, but the point stands. It seems that Canada's peaceful nature and attitude is highly selective.

I'm obviously, as a Canadian, not incredibly well versed in American history and their treatment of their own Aboriginal communities. However, the notion that we are this dramatically more peaceful than them should be called into question, especially in regards to institutionalized racism and the attempt at forced integration of communities that the government and society themselves have pushed to the fringes of society.

MoriahA
Novice Their American
on: November 20, 2015, 15:51

There is a lot in this article that catches my attention. Personally, I want to strike out a lot about the environmental section. ie. better skiing. Really? This isn't a concrete argument and is highly grasping at straws. As a Canadian who doesn't ski, has never skied and probably will never ski, I wouldn't care if our skiing was better or worse than America. It makes no real difference to my life and no real difference to many.

Next, the argument about our perpetual nature to say sorry and that it makes us feel good. Sure, I like to say sorry as much as the next person but that doesn't mean that I'm met with warm responses. I'm a polite person and many people are but it would be naïve to think just because we say sorry a lot, automatically means we mean it all the time. Perhaps it was moving from a small city to Toronto that shifted my perception of this. There are many rude and uncourteous people in Canada as well and lately, I don't feel good apologizing for someone else bumping into me when they end up glaring at me that I had the audacity to be standing where I was. Maybe its being in a larger city that propels this behaviour, I'm no expert but it is something I have picked up on.

I could go on about many of the points but I'll end on this note. Canada is a great country. However, I would stop short of saying its better than America or any other country. Lets not forget that Canada has its dark moments too and isn't as perfect as this article would leave the reader thinking. Every country has its ups and down and I, a native of the country, am not swayed to think in this biased tone.

LianaDavid
Novice Their American
on: November 21, 2015, 14:06

I completely agree with Melissa F. Of course it is natural to hold a strong sense of pride in one's country, however I found this article almost petty in trying to make such a long-winded list of comparisons, many of which seemed unnecessary and just listed for the sake of filling up space. The more I read down the list, the more I cringed. I do agree that we're lucky to have free healthcare and a solid reputation around the world (for our tourism, winter sports, peacekeeping missions, etc.), but the boastful tone in this article is quite ironic given that we are the "nice" and "overly apologetic" nation. It seems to be looking at Canada through rose tinted glasses, because we are in many ways similar to our neighbours to the south in terms of our "dark moments" as Moriah stated above.

Alexandra-
Lynn
Novice Their American
on: November 24, 2015, 16:00

Number 17 in the Macleans article states: "We accept homosexuality: 80 per cent of Canadians say society should accept gays and lesbians, versus 60 per cent in the U.S." American literature and American authors of the 20th century support this statement. Would Gertrude Stein or Tennessee Williams have written as they did if their sexual identity was not seen as a scandal? Perhaps The Glass Menagerie would not have been written at all. Perhaps examples of sexual violence would not have been criticized in A Streetcar Named Desire. If homosexuality was more accepted Stein might not have been such a prime example of the “New Woman” and all the new freedom and agency she displayed might not have been such a huge topic of discussion. She might not have felt compelled to defend her identity through literature.

Brian-
Emmerson
Experienced Their American
on: December 5, 2015, 17:06

It's my philosophy that patriotism that entails encouraging superiority over other nations is toxic. Citizens of a nation state should be proud of identity solely, yet also critical of their country.

Sure, Number 12 may claim Canadians are "better educated", but is that really correct? The article would benefit comparing tuition between Canadian and American students, which may shed a light on why a lesser percentage of Americans pursue a post-secondary degree - and would be a better case to promote Canada's socialized education costs.

It's interesting to see an attempt at sizing-up Canadian musicians. When it comes to music, Canada has trouble competing. The United States is a media giant, and many successful artists within the nation reach international success as well. For Canadian artists, you're lucky to get national recognition, let alone international. Canada has laws to encourage radio play of Canadian artists (CanCon) to ensure that modern artists get some exposure (at least until they fall into obscurity like A Foot in Coldwater or Five Man Electric Band). Success in Canada is very much preserved as a national scene. Bands like The Tragically Hip may be well known and celebrated within the country, but hardly known outside of it let alone the United States. Bands like Metric and Stars tried relocating to New York before returning to Canada, while Celine Dion is recognized for being Canadian yet her music fails to meet MAPL standards (there is too much American involvement in the writing and production of her music for it to be considered Canadian). While Canada has produced artists that have managed to break out of the Canadian scene and gain recognition - like Arcade Fire and Death From Above 1979 (and I'm surprised to see the author of this article even mention Winnipeg's The Weakerthans), it does not compare to the powerhouse of the United States.

The US is also so densely populated with so many music scenes, audiences are abundant within the country. For Canada, the scene is comparable to Toronto's subway system - a straight line from one coast to the next along the border. A Canadian tour for a band would include a lot of distance to travel with few stops inbetween. And even with the money put in by the government to produce Canadian artists and radio laws geared towards encouraging exposure, it's hard for Canadian artists to compete with foreign artists from the United States.

Dgranger
Novice Their American
on: December 5, 2015, 18:11

The Maclean's article is filled with statements about why Canada is better than the United States, and while I am proud to be born and raised in Canada, some of the reasons provided in this piece don't make sense, and are more embarrassing rather than flattering. Reason 55 (about Canada and climate change) seems to dismiss some of the blame Canada has in its contribution to global warming: just because we are one of the countries who experience fewer effects from a changing climate, this doesn't make us better than those who are worse off; I noticed the article didn't mention anything about the tar sands and the environmental damage that has caused. Another example is reason 50, stating that Canadians travel more than Americans: Canada has a relatively high rate of immigration and it would make sense if many of us hold dual citizenship, have valid passports, or if Canadians choose to travel (or must travel) between different countries to visit their families. In my opinion, reason 50 is a pointless argument.

Finally, reason 65 stating the "broad social inclusion of both high-income and low-income voters" shouldn't even have been mentioned as a pro for Canada: this past federal election in October, voter ballots weren't even distributed properly to many of the Indigenous communities in Canada, and as a result, they couldn't vote. Furthermore, this is something that has occurred in past elections. The Indigenous people living on the reserves may be the most disadvantaged (economically, politically, etc) in the entire country, and articles like this tend to ignore the dark history Canada has in relation to the Indigenous people. It's no secret that the Canadian government refuses to acknowledge our history of cultural genocide. Instead of being so critical about other countries (such as the United States), Canada has to look at itself first before judging anyone else.

A.C.-
Charles
Experienced Their American
on: December 5, 2015, 22:15

I posted this video to illustrate the point that the quintessential difference between Canada and the US is that the US is much more "flashy" than Canada. Being the spectacle does have its advantages. For example, when thinking of classic literature my recollection is predominately American literature than Canadian literature. This is not to say that Canadian literature is lower quality, rather, American literature is more memorable because of the prominence it enforces. This relationship is prevalent in sports as well. The CFL Grey Cup just passed, and sports analysts have recorded declining numbers in viewership. This will never be a problem which the NFL faces because of the spectacle behind the sport. This relationship is prevalent in multifarious avenues: movies, politics, celebrities, athletics-they all favour the US.

From a Canadian perspective, the flashiness of the US is a problem because Canadians are starting to believe in this hype as well. In my Canadian university, there are more American literature classes than Canadian literature classes. In our biggest malls nationwide, there are much more American-based companies than Canadian-based companies. Even in my list in the previous paragraph, I generalized ways in which the US is superior than Canada.

The point of this topic is not to derail American product in any way shape or form, rather for Canadians to have more appreciation and support for what they have. Canada may not have the same flash, but sometimes-as I hope this video will illustrate-that is not always a bad thing.

Kristina-
Vassilieva
Novice Their American
on: April 7, 2016, 21:56

Here's a video Ellen Degeneres showed on her show. In light of the upcoming elections, Americans have apparently been googling how to move to Canada in case Donald Trump wins. The Canadian in the video says that Canada doesn't want Americans, and that they should leave Canada out of it. It surprises me that a people who stereotypically love their country so much that at times that loves borders on aggression, would google how to leave. With all the recent controversy over the support Donald Trump received for his claims that he will make refugees leave, and general ideas concerning immigration (wall between U.S. and Mexico) it seems ironic that people consider moving countries without a problem. Admittedly the people seeking to move are not Trump supporters and perhaps do not have anything against immigration, but it is worth thinking about the attitude with which they think about moving. Do they think other countries will be willing to accept them when some people in their country are adamant about not accepting immigrants? Perhaps this speaks of an American confidence that any opportunity is open to them. Do they question whether they as immigrants will be accepted, or be unwelcome by the locals? The message of the video states that Americans immigrants are not welcome. Furthermore, the reason for their immigration would be a political circumstance, like the refugees of Syria. How then is their immigration justified while that of Syrian refugees, who faced a more immediate danger, is not? Just something to think about.

Olivia-
Penney
Novice Their American
on: April 8, 2016, 22:54

As a Canadian citizen, one thing that I have noticed over the years about our relationship with America is that we are so eager to write off all Americans. We see the racism of the south and the gun control laws and the police brutality and think that it is an awful place to live. (These are obviously broad and sweeping generalizations) I think that this tendency to ultimately dismiss America comes from a deep rooted insecurity that Canadians face with regards to their international status. We want to be taken seriously, but with the states as our southern neighbour, it often becomes easy to get lost in their looming and ominous shadow. One of the reasons for this, I believe, is celebrity culture, and the tendency many Canadian celebrities have of dismissing their Canadian roots, or at the very least not acknowledging it, in order to become more famous. I do think that there are many ways in which America is inferior to Canada. That being said, Canada could use some improvement as well. Sorry, eh?

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.102 seconds.