American hedonism closes its eyes to death, and has been
incapable of exorcising the destructive power of the moment
with a wisdom like that of the Epicureans of antiquity.

- Octavio Paz
Death is un-American, and an affront to every citizen's inalienable
right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

- Arnold Toynbee
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"As long as such self-serving hypocrisy
motivates America's response, Ukraine will
only sink further into needless bloodshed,
and that blood will be on America's head."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
In America everybody is of the opinion that he has no social superiors,
since all men are equal, but he does not admit that he has no social inferiors,
for, from the time of Jefferson onward, the doctrine that all men are equal
applies only upwards, not downwards.

― Bertrand Russell
Global Coke
Global Coke
"What those 'racists' are reflexively and rightly reacting
to is the soulless chill as the fire goes out beneath the
melting pot. Those who think America can thrive as a
'cultural mosaic' are worse than fools; they're Canadians."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Global Coke
Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe.
It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster,
in which the taints, the sickness and the inhumanity of Europe
have grown to appalling dimensions.

― Frantz Fanon
What the United States does best is understand itself.
What it does worst is understand others.

- Carlos Fuentes
Poor Mexico, so far from God
and so close to the United States.

- Porfirio Diaz
the_band_huge
the_band_huge
"Indeed, everything about the American southland was magical
and exotic to the young Canadian musicians, from the sights
and smells to the drawling manner of speech to, especially, the
central role that music played in people’s everyday lives."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
the_band_huge
America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
- Sigmund Freud
America is an adorable woman chewing tobacco.
- Auguste Bartholdi
chimerica
chimerica
"This is the tone of the China Century, a subtle
mix of Nazi/Soviet bravado and 'oriental'
cunning -- easily misunderstood, and
never
heard before, in a real enemy, by the West."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
chimerica
Coke and 'America the Beautiful'
"And for the others who argued for English-only
patriotism, I note that there are more than
57 million Americans (about 20% of the nation)
whose first-language is not English...."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
predator-firing-missile4
"This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid
old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be."

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
predator-firing-missile4
America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to
degeneration without the usual interval of civilization.

- Georges Clemenceau
I found there a country with thirty-two religions and only one sauce.
- Charles–Maurice Talleyrand
A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle,
and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood.

- Edmund Burke
America is the only country ever founded on the printed word.
- Marshall McLuhan
"The removal of racist sports nicknames (and mascots) seems outrageously belated
-- why, exactly, has this civil rights cause
taken so long to gain momentum?"

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the
United States reactionaries use to scare people.
It looks terrible, but in fact it isn't.

- Mao Tse-tung
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

- Red Cloud
In America sex is an obsession,
in other parts of the world it is a fact.

- Marlene Dietrich
I would rather have a nod from an American,
than a snuff-box from an emperor.

- Lord Byron
One day the United States discovered it was an empire.
But it didn’t know what an empire was.
It thought that an empire was merely the biggest of all corporations.

- Roberto Calasso
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather
be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

- Alexis de Tocqueville
newtown
newtown
"No one, I thought, could watch those scenes, of young children slaughtered en masse, and so many parents grieving, without thinking that this, finally, would tip some kind of balance in the country."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
newtown
If you are prepared to accept the consequences of your dreams
then you must still regard America today with the same naive
enthusiasm as the generations that discovered the New World.

- Jean Baudrillard
I am willing to love all mankind, except an American.
- Samuel Johnson
America, thou half brother of the world;
With something good and bad of every land.

- Philip Bailey
"What can be more powerful than disinformation in the Information Age?"
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
England and America are two countries separated by the same language.
- Sir Walter Besant
Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by
posterity because he was the last to discover America.

- James Joyce
Now, from America, empty indifferent things
are pouring across, sham things, dummy life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
If the United States is to recover fortitude and lucidity,
it must recover itself, and to recover itself it must
recover the "others"- the outcasts of the Western world.
- Octavio Paz
The youth of America is their oldest tradition.
It has been going on now for three hundred years.

- Oscar Wilde
"America really is, for most Americans, all things considered, a good place to be, and all they really want is for everyone to enjoy the same privilege and pleasure."
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
When good Americans die they go to Paris;
when bad Americans die they go to America.

- Oscar Wilde
jobs drug dealer
jobs drug dealer
They're nothing more than traffickers; and as the smart traffickers'll tell you, you don't use the merchandise. They are just inoculating their kids with a tech-drug serum, to immunize them against the very merchandise that put the **** bowling alley in their basement.
jobs drug dealer
America is therefore the land of the future, where, in the ages that
lie before us, the burden of the World's History shall reveal itself.

- Georg Friedrich Hegel
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room.
Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

- Arnold Toynbee
Americans always try to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.
- Winston Churchill
The thing that impresses me most about Americans
is the way parents obey their children.

- Edward, Duke of Windsor
Americans are apt to be unduly interested in discovering
what average opinion believes average opinion to be.

- John Maynard Keynes
Europe was created by history.
America was created by philosophy.

- Margaret Thatcher
America is God's crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of
Europe are melting and reforming!... The real American has not yet arrived.
He is only in the crucible, I tell you - he will be the fusion of all races.

- Israel Zangwill
American dreams are strongest in the hearts of those
who have seen America only in their dreams.

- Pico Iyer
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons.
- Ringo Starr
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer.
It has never yet melted.

― D.H. Lawrence
I have two conflicting visions of America.
One is a kind of dream landscape and the other is a kind of black comedy.

― Bono
The American mirror, said the voice, the sad American mirror
of wealth and poverty and constant useless metamorphosis,
the mirror that sails and whose sails are pain.

― Roberto Bolaño

April 19, 2024

Forums

Home • • • Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Drone Strikes by the American Military

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
Drone Strikes by the American Military
on: November 26, 2013, 13:21

* A bug in our forum software led to some problems displaying posts in this and other threads; the issue has been resolved, and I've restored the discussion. Sorry for the trouble!

License to Kill: Why the American Drone War on Yemen Violates International Law
http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/14925/license-to-kill_why-the-american-drone-war-on-yeme
"Since 2009, the United States has regularly bombed Yemen. These aerial attacks have occurred in almost every province of the country. In the past two years, the number of drone strikes has multiplied and the infrastructure required for these attacks have been expanded, not only in Yemen, but also in neighboring Saudi Arabia and Djibouti. Since the first strikes in November 2002 and until the writing of this report in July 2013, the United States has carried out between 134 and 234 military operations in Yemen. These include strikes by aircraft and drones as well as missiles launched from warships located in the Gulf of Aden. According to various sources, estimates of the number of people killed range from 1000 to 2000. However, to this day, neither the Yemeni nor the American authorities have put forward official statistics on the number of casualties."

Anna-
Blazhko
Experienced Their American
Re: Drone Strikes by the American Military
on: November 26, 2013, 13:36

I'd like to know more about the 'feeling on the ground' about Al Qaeda and other such organizations operating in Yemen. Do people feel that America is overstating the degree to which 'terrorist' organizations are present in Yemen? And if the drone strikes are both immoral and ineffective (creating more terrorists than they kill), what would be a better way for the US to deal with Al Qaeda in Yemen?
I can easily imagine the anger of people who fall victim to such violence, especially such inhuman violence, but what is the better alternative when a group like Al Queda seems to have no problem with violence itself? If the Americans just stopped and disappeared, would Yemen suddenly be better off? Are things better in Iraq now that the Americans aren't killing anyone there anymore?

Wyatt Dick
Veteran Their American
on: November 26, 2013, 13:37

To put an even finer point on it, from what I have read (and I am far from an expert here, so please correct any false assumptions), if America stopped making drone attacks in Yemen, and pressuring the Yemeni government to support these attacks, Yemen itself would probably be better off in the short term. Under such conditions, I doubt Al Qeada and other, similar organizations would orchestrate much violence in Yemen proper.
However, if as a result of this American restraint, Yemen became a safe haven for violent groups with an anti-Western agenda, it seems likely that in time, a major attack in the West would be planned and prepared for in Yemen. Once the link was found, what then? Afghanistan in Yemen? Marines landing on the Yemeni coast?
Sometimes it really does seem like they are all bad choices.

Todd H.
on: November 26, 2013, 13:38

When I read through these posts, I am constantly troubled by the almost concrete 'feel' of what to me are the abstractions (as if they were real pieces on a real game board: the America-token, the Yemen-token, here's a "restraint"-card and there's a "better off in short term"-card, the dice-rolls for "bad choices" or " the feeling on the ground")--compared to the very abstract 'feel' of what I consider to be the reality: the two soldiers sitting in upholstered Recaro seats for twelve hour shifts, ten days at a time, holding their joysticks in front of a bank of monitors, sweating in the darkness of a windowless multi-mode container in the Nevada desert, flying these drones over little villages in Yemen, firing missiles into their houses, their cars, into crowds,saying things like "Poo-yeah, got another one!" then giving a high-five to their partner, leaving thousands of real people dead or dying over the last few years. This real war game, being played with 'live' and usually fleeing subjects, feels more abstract somehow. How did this happen? Why does "America" seem more real than that dead child or that drone pilot in the container?
To me it feels like the USA is mainly using countries like Yemen to beef-up and practice its new military strategy and tactics, perfecting the techniques of remote-control warfare, and maybe occasionally killing a few "bad guys" to justify all the target practice. I agree with the first poster on this one: it's a self-justifying circuit now: one day someone's going deliver some serious payback, so I guess the USA had best continue with their target practice. (It's strange how the USA has become the 'Dark Star' of the 'Star Wars' universe...with their little drones flying around chasing the rebels on the desert planet...).
Apologize in advance for the ramble,
T.

Peter Clay
on: November 26, 2013, 13:39

Todd, that's exactly it: the coolness of these arguments (the ones that suggest the Yemenis are better off putting up with the constant anxiety of drone sorties and the steadily rising body count of innocent civilians, since things could be worse if America didn't suppress the bad guys there) seems grossly inadequate, especially next to the adolescent (and cowardly) heat of the drone program itself. There's something fundamentally appalling about the way the United States is using drone strikes. The American military could reduce civilian casualties in Yemen by using actual soldiers on the ground and by more patiently cultivating alliances. But it won't, because it fears the deeper commitment (and American military losses) that would be involved. This is immoral, and Yemenis have every right to be appalled.

Anna-
Blazhko
on: November 26, 2013, 13:40

Quote from Peter Clay on November 16, 2013, 17:15
Todd, that's exactly it: the coolness of these arguments (the ones that suggest the Yemenis are better off putting up with the constant anxiety of drone sorties and the steadily rising body count of innocent civilians, since things could be worse if America didn't suppress the bad guys there) seems grossly inadequate, especially next to the adolescent (and cowardly) heat of the drone program itself. There's something fundamentally appalling about the way the United States is using drone strikes. The American military couldreduce civilian casualties in Yemen by using actual soldiers on the ground and by more patiently cultivating alliances. But it won't, because it fears the deeper commitment (and American military losses) that would be involved. This is immoral, and Yemenis have every right to be appalled.

I don't need to be reminded of the horrors of such violence, but I was glad to be reminded of the special horror of such impersonal violence, and I'm happy to accept that such strikes may often do more harm than good.
But do you feel, Peter, that having American soldiers on the ground, as in Baghdad, blowing things up, raiding houses, shooting people before their neighbors' eyes, doing all the things that soldier talks of in that moving video (in the "Have patience with us: The Iraqi Prime Minister`s plea to Americans" thread in the Middle East News forum), would actually be less offensive to the Yemenis? Or would they, in this case, do everything much better than they did in Baghdad?
Or should America just get out of Yemen altogether, and leave Al Qaeda alone?
And as for the alternative, what sort of "cultivating alliances" do you mean exactly? And how long and how well would that process have to go on before it started really working in this case?
I know very little about the details of Yemen (obviously), but it seems like a kind of post-Iraq model case for American intervention, and so I welcome your model response.

Todd H.
on: November 26, 2013, 13:42

When the soldiers are brought back from Iraq, where they really suffered and caused suffering, some of them make videos like the one you refer to (Anna), and lots of others change their view about war, Iraq and the USA. I wonder what the guys (and girls?) coming back from their two-week on / two-week off video game target practice in Yemen will do? I'm sure they must feel some regrets, remorse, and face more serious problems too--but it feels to me like some essential piece of the time worn 'human-war-society' feedback loop has been severed--even though this loop often features real horrors-- maybe not, maybe the drone-pilots will be as terrorized and as moved. Although at first it seems like drone piloting is simply on a pysychodramatic continuum with high altitude bombing or targeted assassination (or the General pushing plastic troops formations across a big map surrounded by the 'team'), the sheer emotional distance and banality of the whole thing seems to put it on an entirely different footing. As Orson Scott Card's book Ender's Game points out (recently turned into a movie), these drone pilots are going to end up being real children (or infantalized youth), trained on real video games to play in virtual but deadly action.
Although your question was addressed to Peter, and I certainly have no 'model response', I tend to probably agree that the drone strikes are effective (objectively speaking) but potentially extremely costly on the future of the American psyche--something like a loss of bravery, courage, idealism and all the unpredictable moments of revelation that can arise through more traditional (even highly asymmetrical) conflict.

Anna-
Blazhko
on: November 26, 2013, 13:43

What an interesting way of looking at this, Todd, thanks!
I never thought of the effect on America. And not just on its soldiers but on its people, whose soldiers stand for them, and not just in battle.
And I imagine that that effect will 'loop' back to Yemen (and other similar places) somehow.
I imagine myself as an American, picturing those bombs being dropped on unsuspecting Yemenis by some sweaty kid on energy drinks in a mobile home in Nevada, and something goes dead inside me.
It's like a violent symbol of everything that's wrong about America in the world today. You can't do that and stay human for long.

Brian-
Jones
Veteran Their American
on: November 26, 2013, 13:43

That's how you fight a war in Disneyland.

Todd H.
on: November 26, 2013, 13:44

Disney Apocalypse: the veil of Disney becomes so tattered in its attempt to sufficiently cover all this new and prickly ground that the Americans themselves simply pull it away (or it gets pulled from their own faces first) and they 'wake' (or 'go home') and clearly see that if world domination is still important, they've got about a five to ten year window to deliver a series of tactical nuclear first strikes to reset the stage.

Geoff-
Hamilton
Administrator
on: November 26, 2013, 13:46

* A bug in our forum software led to some problems displaying posts in this and other threads; the issue has been resolved, and I've restored the discussion. Sorry for the trouble!

mahmoud-
badawi
on: December 6, 2013, 12:32

I have been reading with great interest the Pew Report on attitudes to America--thank you, Sharon!
Consider this survey of global attitudes to the drone strikes: http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/07/18/chapter-1-attitudes-toward-the-united-states/ (scroll down near the bottom).
Worldwide condemnation. Especially in areas where America continues to have the greatest trouble (like the Middle East).
Look at the numbers, America, and ask yourself this question: Does the possible benefit I gain from possibly killing a few terrorists here or there, outweigh the certain disapproval, and often violent hatred, of so many people, in so many countries around the world?
How many innocent American (and other) lives are you certainly exposing to greater danger because of these horrible, and horribly symbolic, attacks?
What is the cumulative, organic effect of so much hatred, over months and years; the death of innocents, the mourning and lamentation; the birth and upbringing of innocents in homes and communities burning with hatred of you?
Are you sure that the possible benefits of possibly killing a few terrorists here and there outweigh the certain harm you are doing by planting seeds of hatred every day, all around the world?
Are these attacks not the most vivid and destructive symbol of everything that is going wrong with America in the world? As Yuuichi noted in the Pew Report survey on American beliefs, America is increasingly isolated from the real world and increasingly trusting in its (increasingly inhuman) military force--precisely the fatal logic illustrated in these drone attacks.
Yet, at the same time, it is increasingly closed in and threatened by the forces it has itself unleashed.
This is the behavior, and the fate, of paranoid old-world tyrants like Hitler or Saddam, not liberal new-world democracies like America pretends to be.

Leon-
Jarvis
on: December 10, 2013, 16:47

from BBC NEWS
Amazon, the world's largest online retailer, is testing unmanned drones to deliver goods to customers, Chief Executive Jeff Bezos says.
The drones, called Octocopters, could deliver packages weighing up to 2.3kg to customers within 30 minutes of them placing the order, he said.

What was the militarized drone program really about all along? Didn't we guess from the start? Those chickens, we now hear, are coming home to roost (and fly) in America, dropping consumer goods on impatient American homes. The Yemenis were a test market.

Gabe Upton
on: December 31, 2013, 19:22

Setting aside the callousness of the post above, I would agree that the American military experience with drones does, indeed, seem to be a kind of testing ground for technologies that will soon make their way to the 'homeland.'

Six states chosen as drone testing sites; California among losers

By Richard Simon and W.J. Hennigan
December 30, 2013, 9:46 a.m.

WASHINGTON -- After a fierce nationwide competition that offers potentially big economic benefits for the winners, six sites were selected Monday for testing of how drones can be more widely used in U.S. airspace.

The Federal Aviation Administration announced the selection of sites in Alaska, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Texas and Virginia. California, vying to become the Silicon Valley of robotic aircraft, was among the losers in the 24-state competition.

"These test sites will give us valuable information about how best to ensure the safe introduction of this advanced technology into our nation’s skies,” Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx in a statement.
In 2012, Congress directed the FAA to draw up rules for incorporating the remotely piloted aircraft in U.S. airspace by 2015.

FAA Administrator Michael Huerta has estimated that 7,500 small drones could be aloft within five years.
The remotely piloted aircraft could be used for activities such as spotting wildfires, helping police track criminal suspects, scouting film locations and inspecting pipelines.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-us-drone-testing-sites-20131230,0,5172767.story#axzz2ozBJ01my

JakobL
on: March 16, 2014, 06:29

As far as I gather, the only sources for numerical data concerning drone strikes in Pakistan are The Long War Journal, the New America Foundation, and The Bureau of Investigative Journalism. What I find puzzling are the large gaps between the numbers of civilian casualties if you compare these three sources -- the New America Foundation sets the number at 307, the Bureau claims the number could fall anywhere between 416 and 957, while The Long War Journal sets the highest possible number only at 156.

Now I'm aware that implementing strict distinction procedures seems to be impossible due to the very nature of the strikes and that this could explain some of the numerical inconsistencies, but the difference between 156 civilian casualties and 957 seems to me an extremely large one. Considering the fact that these three websites chart the data from local Pakistani sources (is this even the case or do their respective sources differ?) and thus seem to be unbiased, could anyone explain to me these rather large differences in the numbers? I know there are many ambiguities/uncertainties/etc., and one that comes to mind is that Amnesty International suggests 18 labourers (i.e. non-combatants) were killed on 6 July 2012 in North Waziristan, while the New America Foundation only lists 'between 6 and 21 combatants' killed on the same date. What I'm getting at is that listing a group as combatants by one source and claiming that these same people were civilians by another seem like two bafflingly opposite views.

A_Oblak
on: March 17, 2014, 05:43

And agree with the last post. The problem with drone strikes is that the margin of error that is allowed is far too great. I think that these discrepancies in numbers come from the fact that different sources cite targets differently. Some civilians are collateral damage, which I believe should be unacceptable from the get-go, whereas others could be "other militants". These would be the people who behave like a potential terrorist might, but are never proven to be the actual enemy, yet they are killed. All in all I feel that drones are the next welcome step in the evolution of warfare, as they do not put lives of the soldiers in danger, however they should be made more precise and the policy behind them should be more severe. Only confirmed terrorists, located in countries where it is legal for the States to use military tactics should be targeted and the acceptable number of civilian casualties must be zero.

Sara Z
on: March 18, 2014, 15:23

I have found an interesting interview with Emira Woods, co-director of Foreign Policy in Focus, who advocates one of the many theories that suggest the focus of the US drone policy is not solely on fighting terrorism (link to the interview: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/01/29/286251/us-militarizing-africa-in-pursuit-of-oil/). Woods argues that the setting up of US drone bases in Northwest Africa coincides with Africa’s ‘increased significance as a supplier of oil, natural gas and other vital resources’ to the US. According to AFRICOM, new forces have been sent to Africa in order to obtain intelligence on Al-Qaeda members, and for now, only unarmed drones are being used in this respect, thought the future possibility of ‘conducting missile strikes’ has not been dismissed. Woods argues that the true intention of the US officials is to secure African natural resources and that such policy is yet another instance of colonialism – boosting the US economy by exploiting African resources.
In the last couple of months, the US has sped up drone delivers to Iraq, which ranks 7th on the list of countries by oil production and 10th on the list of reserves of natural gas by country. Similarly high on the lists, based on CIA World Factbook data, is Nigeria, and not far behind are also Yemen and Pakistan. Is the US using the War on Terror as an excuse to ensure “inexhaustible” oil and gas supplies in order to keep domestic prices of these resources low?

mandm
on: March 19, 2014, 13:18

Nowadays it has become too easy too kill by those that are not directly involved in it and by this I mean the government of the United States. While invading countries with drones they completely disregard the human factor. Drones are indeed cheeper airplanes than jet fighters but the lives, of those who control them and those who are affected by a strike, do not come cheap. Drone pilots although they seem not to be affected by the situation they very much are in the midst of it. They see every single thing they do although they are far away from the battlefield. We must not forget that not only the plains but also the bombs have cameras so that the pilot would guide it to wherever he has to. All this resulting scenes that the drone pilot takes part in by seeing the devastation that the bomb made and with the ability to do nothing more than watch. All this results later in PTSD, since pilots after their shift is over return to their everyday life. Thus switching from violent, sad, disturbing scenes on days of strikes to kissing their wife and playing with their children. Now, on the other side of the camera and bombs are the innocent people that get killed in these strikes and that nobody really knows the real number of how many of them died. Sources that report the numbers cannot get them right because in countries like Syria the custom is that they have to burry their dead before sundown. Therefore the government should be more considerate of such factors and not attack without any consideration of the surroundings and people involved in it, or to attack in countries that they are not officially at war with.

Rozu
on: November 23, 2015, 18:35

I agree with you Mandm. Also, I believe any form of drone/ air strikes should be avoided at all costs. The damage it does to the civilians is greater than the damage to the terrorist groups. Giving American militaries an all access pass to go forward with their manner of intervention in Yemen only gives them ground to freely attack without taking any responsibility or care of innocent lives. Rather a clear and concise plan should be established to limit causalities of innocent lives to a minimum. There needs to be better precautions put into place. Air strikes lead to a greater risk of hurting unintentional victims like when the Americans used aerial attacks in Afghanistan and hit a doctors without borders hospital, injuring and killing professionals and patients none of which were part of any terrorist organization (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/afghans-asked-air-strike-kunduz-hospital-151005140605920.html).

jennynicol-
le
Novice Their American
on: December 3, 2015, 12:16

In my opinion, drones do more harm than good because of collateral damage that is caused by drones in the middle east. In recent news, France bombed Syria trying to target "ISIS", and unfortunate circumstances were the outcome to many Syrian civilians who  were caught in the crossfire. In my opinion drones do not pose accurate threats to whom the real targets should be, rather are used to kill innocent lives. Drone strikes in Afghanistan,Pakistan,Yemen and Somalia have accumulated to thousands of lives being taken, through targeted certain terrorists in these countries. Mentioning these countries is just scratching the surface to the real problems to come. Therefore, other alternative methods to targeting terrorist groups should be used to minimize the risk of casualties.

The cons outweigh the benefits of using Drones, and I believe this type of technology, within the right hands can be used to help countries by sending food and aid to people in need rather than how it is being used now. As A_Oblak mentioned the "margin of error" is way too lenient and high, thus making drones an ineffective method of tactics. The problem is not the tool per se, but the way it is manipulated and used to the governments agenda. 

The future does not look positive, as the US will most likely have an increased budget in aircraft spending throughout the decade, and it will most likely be the leaders spending finances on Drones and other aerial technology.

superfly
on: December 7, 2015, 23:09

America needs a War on McDonald's more than a War on Terror. It's so called "peace-keeping" mission is as real a farce as is Donald Trump's hair. Dropping bombs on civilians is a heinous act and war crime (*oops, but no one cares because the media won't show it*). America invades countries, wipes out entire families, massacres entire towns, leaves bloodbaths in streets and is still a super power of the world. Why? Consider the fact that there could be more than 2000 deceased in Yemen because of American missiles and air strikes and the media doesn't want you do know.

SN_America
Novice Their American
on: December 7, 2015, 23:10

Well to begin with, Drone warfare represents an evolution of American warfare many do not realize. T.S. Eliot would decry this growth as now a problem of "seeing the eyes but not the tears" Under the rhetoric of the 'war on terror' the United States has set itself up for an endless war. With the growth of asymmetrical conflict such a terrorism, the United States has modified it's combat techniques in combat labeled at "networked warfare", in which JSOC and other elite groups essentially work like a terrorist group in acts of counter insurgency. Jeremy Scahil's documentary Dirty Wars explores this new terrain, here is a link of him speaking about US actions in Yemen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91trwzvxRA. Drone warfare is hardly accurate and do nothing more than shore up terrorist support in parts of the world that have been destablized by US actions in the first place. I will speak at length about this in another post. But I highly recommend everyone take a look at the "Drone Papers": https://theintercept.com/drone-papers to get a better picture as what is actually going on.

JeanGiroux
Novice Their American
on: March 20, 2016, 17:41

American actions in the Middle East under the pretext of the "war on terror" have been astoundingly inhumane for some time. Unfortunately, America's military machine is virtually unstoppable and will continue to destabilize and plunder susceptible countries until it is not in their best interest to do so.

In my view, there is absolutely no defending the use of drones; they are inaccurate (leaked U.S. military documents show that drone strikes kill their intended target 13% of the time), and are a flagrant infringement on the sovereignty of Middle Eastern nations. National governments as well as independent factions have repeatedly made these statistics public and urged international organizations to impose some form of justice, or to at least make these programs more transparent. Yet, the U.S. military continues these attacks with impunity and minimal disclosure, while upholding virtually none of the standards required by international law.

Drone warfare, in my view, brings to light the glaring inadequacies of international law - what will it take to curb this kind of experimental warfare carried out at the expense of countless innocent lives? Evidently, the current paradigm is insufficient and does virtually nothing to taper corruption, infringements of national sovereignty, and egregious war crimes. As someone alluded to earlier, America's "war on terror" is an absolute farce, and thankfully, it appears as though that awareness is reaching a critical mass in the Western world. As we enter this new era of American leadership, let's hope a more peace-oriented agenda becomes the norm.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | ElegantPress by Theme4Press and SOFTthemes | Sponsored by Sasina Therapy
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.072 seconds.